U.S. Virgin Islands: Events
What is happening in United States Virgin Islands:
The Virgin Islands are some of the prettiest property in the Caribbean and a place where tourists from all over the world visit all year. It has a population of about one hundred and twenty thousand people but has more than four times as many visitors. There are many subtropical forests because the islands have a fairly good rainfall yearly.
There are a number of festive events from Carnival and Calypso celebrations.
- New Year's Day - January 1 - Public Holiday
- Crucian Christmas Festival - St. Croix
- Calypso Monarch Competition - St. Croix
- Martin Luther King's Jr. Day - Third Monday in January
- Presidents' Day - Third Monday in February
- Mardi Gras - St. Croix
- Presidents' Day
- Reggae Festival - St. Thomas
- Carnival - (St. Thomas begins)
- Easter Holiday - Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Easter Monday; (The Easter Holiday occurs either late March or early April).
- Transfer Day - March 31
Transfer Day is the day that commemorates the date that St. Croix was handed over to the United States from Denmark.
- Carnival in St. Thomas (carnival runs until the last weekend)
- Arts Alive - Sunday Brunch (St. Thomas)
- International Rolex Cup Regatta (St. Thomas)
Carnival in St. Thomas usually occurs in late April and is unusual in that it occurs after Easter. The carnival is run for a crazy month, which is full of dancing, drumming, masquerades, eating and stilt walkers.
- Iron Man Jump Up - St. Croix
- St. Croix International Triathlon
- International Rolex Regatta - St. Croix
- St. John carnival (begins the last week of May)
- Memorial Day - Last Monday in May
The carnival in St. John begins in late June and extends into the Independence Holiday of July 4.
- Emancipation Day - July 3 - Public Holiday
- Independence Day - July 4 - Public Holiday
Emancipation Day is celebrated on July 3, which is the date that was announced in the Virgin Islands that slavery had come to and end.
- Labour Day - First Monday in September - Public Holiday
This is celebrated in conjunction with the Labour Day on Eastern Parkway in Brooklyn, New York.
- Columbus Day, Virgin Islands Friendship Day - Public Holiday - Second Monday in October
- Liberty Day (St. Croix) - November 1 - Public Holiday
- Veterans' Day - November 11 - Public Holiday
- Thanksgiving Day - Fourth Thursday in November
- Christmas Day - December 25 - Public Holiday
- Boxing Day - Public Holiday
- Crucian Christmas Festival - Starts December 25 until early January
There is a two-week Crucian Christmas Festival, which starts at Christmas day and extends through early January and offers drinking, parading and feasting.