Top 5 Tips For Your Family Vacation Getaway
By Jim Johnson
Family vacations are opportunities for everyone in the family to recharge and rejuvenate while stepping outside the normal activities of daily life. They can be some our most memorable experiences. But advance planning is needed too if you want to have the perfect family vacation. Since vacation activities are not part of our normal routine, it's easy to forget some things that make a real difference on whether the trip is pleasant and exciting, or a real disappointment instead. Here are the top 5 tips to help make your family vacation getaway successful:
1. Make sure that before you leave you make a few phone calls to confirm all the reservations that you have made for the trip. There is nothing more irritating than getting to your destination only to find that a mistake has been made and you don't have the hotel, car rental, or activity reservations that you thought you did. This can be especially problematic with making all of your reservations over the internet. So a quick phone call to make sure that all is waiting for you as promised can save a lot of aggravation later on.
2. Check the weather at your destination and make sure that the clothes you have packed will be sufficient. In some places the weather can change rapidly and if you aren't prepared with the right clothing it can make for a very uncomfortable stay. It may be a good idea to check with weather.com not only about the current weather situation but also what is being forecast for the next 10 days or so just to try to get as complete a picture as possible.
3. If you are flying to your family vacation getaway, take a carry on bag with you that has all the important papers that you need including your travel schedule, lodging information, credit cards, travelers checks, and so forth. It may also be a good idea to include a few clothing items that can get you through a day or two after you arrive just in case your checked luggage is lost or misplaced.
4. If you are driving to your destination, be sure to have a good road atlas handy that can get you all the way from your origin to your destination with easy to follow maps. You can even go one better by visiting mapquest.com and getting specific driving directions that will lay out every step along the way and give you the most details possible about the upcoming trip. Also don't forget to get directions for the return trip as well.
5. If you are visiting a foreign country, arrange for all necessary paperwork such as visas, passports, birth certificates, etc. well in advance so you don't have unexpected delays as you travel. Also try to get some of that country's currency before you leave so you have it on hand when you arrive. You may also want to consider protecting yourself from pickpockets in foreign countries by putting your cash in a money belt instead of a wallet.
A few simple precautions taken in advance can help make your family vacation getaway in to the perfect family vacation that you will remember fondly for many years to come.
Find out more about finding the best family vacations and fun family vacations by visiting our Vacation Guide website.
Hotels & Resorts
More Articles by Jim Johnson
More Travel Articles
Views expressed in the article are those of the author and are not necessarily the opinions of CaribbeanChoice, its staff or members.