Martinique: Basic Information
The lushness of Martinique's vegetation is evidence that it has a far higher rainfall than many of the islands, due to its mountainous relief. The wet season lasts from June to late November and the frequency of sudden heavy showers make an umbrella or raincoat an essential piece of equipment. The cooler dry season lasts from December to May and the year round average temperature is 26°C although the highlands and Montagne Pelée are quite cool.
(Information Coming Soon!)
In Fort-de-France open 0800-1100, 1300-1700 daily, including holidays, no overtime fees charged; at Le Marin from 0730 until lunchtime, at St Pierre on Wednesday morning.
- Fire department: T18
- Police: T17
- Gendarmerie, rue Victor Sévère, 97200 Fort-de-France, T635151
- Hôtel de Police: T553000
- Sea rescue: T639205, 632088
- Radio phone (international), T10
- Radio taxi: T636362
There are 18 hospitals and clinics which are well-equipped and well-staffed. EU citizens have reciprocal state health rights and hospitals are up to metropolitan France standards.
In an emergency:
- SAMU, Pierre Zobda Quitman Hospital, 97232 Le Lamentin, T751515
- Ambulance service T715948
- The Sea Water Therapy Centre is at Grand Anse, 97221 Carbet, T780878
The electric current is 220 volts AC.
Weights and Measures:
The metric system is in use.
Do not change US dollars at the Post Office in Fort-de-France, you lose about 15% because of the poor exchange rate and commission. American Express at Roger Albert Voyages, 10 rue Victor Hugo, upstairs, efficient.
Cost of Living:
Remember that the standard of living is high and expect to pay French prices or higher, which means expensive. Small beers or cokes cost around 15F in a tourist bar, 10F in a local bar, 6F in a supermarket, petrol 5F per litre, a nice meal at a good restaurant including wine will be at least 350F for two. A 2-3 course set lunch will cost 60-70F per person, with house wine at around 7F a glass.
- Change Caraïbes, Airport, open 0730-2130 Mon-Sat, 0800-1200, 1400-2100 Sun, T421711, rue Ernest Deproge, 97200,
Fort-de-France, open 0730-1800 Mon-Fri, 0800-1300 Sat, T602840
- Crédit Agricole also has an office at the airport for currency exchange, open 0730-1230, 1430-1800 Tue-Fri, 0800-1130 Sat, T512599, also at rue Ernest Deproge, T731706, closed Mon, open Sat morning
- Banque Française Commerciale, 6/10 rue Ernest Deproge, T638257
- Banque des Antilles Françaises, 34 rue Lamartine, T607272
- Société Générale de Banque aux Antilles, 19 rue de la Liberté, T597070
- Crédit Martiniquais, 17 rue de la Liberté, T599300. BRED, Place Monseigneur Romero, T632267
- Martinique Change, 137 rue Victor Hugo, T638033 and in Trois-Ilets T660444
- Banque National de Paris, 72 Av des Caraïbes, T594600 (the best for cash advances on Visa, no commission).
Banks and exchange houses charge 5% commission on travellers' cheques. Not all banks accept US dollar travellers' cheques. Some banks charge 15-30F for any size transaction, so change as much as you think you're going to need. Always go to the bank early; by mid-morning they are very crowded.
Hours of Business:
Shops are open from 0900-1800 (banks from around 0730) and until 1300 on Saturday. Nearly everything closes from 1200-1500 and on Sunday.
There are several launderettes in Fort-de-France; Lavexpress, 61 rue Jules-Monnerot; Laverie Self-Service, Lavematic, 85 rue Jules-Monnerot, Terres Sainville, T637043. Laundry service behind Pointe du Bout marina, also at Bakoua Marina dock.
- New Year's Day
- Easter Sunday
- Easter Monday
- Labour Day on 1 May
- Ascension Day
- Whit Monday
- 8 May VE Day
- 27 May Slavery Abolition Day
- National/Bastille Day on 14 July
- Schoelcher Day on 21 July
- Assumption Day in August
- All Saints Day on 1 November
- All Souls Day on 2 November
- Armistice Day on 11 November
- Christmas Day
Places of Worship:
Although the majority of the population is Catholic there are other churches represented include the Seventh Day Adventists, Baptists, the Evangelical Awakening Assembly, the Full Evangelical Mission and the Evangelical Christian Mission. There is a synagogue, Anse Gouraud, Schoelcher.