Print Page | Close Window

Battle of the Islands - November 2004

Printed From: CaribbeanChoice
Category: General Discussion
Forum Name: The Caribbean Room
Forum Discription: General discussions of any topic that does not fit into other forums.
URL: http://www.caribbeanchoice.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=75324
Printed Date: 08áDecá2019 at 4:00am

Topic: Battle of the Islands - November 2004
Posted By: Scott
Subject: Battle of the Islands - November 2004
Date Posted: 01áNová2004 at 12:16am
Battle of the Islands!

A little friendly competition to see who can vote their flag to the top!

The rules are simple. Every month we will create a new poll in which you can vote for which flag you want to appear on top. You can vote as often as you want using the form above and at the end of the month, we will declare a winner. The winning flag will fly high above everyone else's for one month, during which time, people will vote for the following month.

The results of this poll will determine who's flag will fly high on the http://www.caribbeanchoice.com/battle.asp - Battle of the Flags page for the month of December.

Don't forget to "vote early and vote often!" And tell your friends so they can vote too!

And don't forget, you CAN vote as often as you want!  Show your spirit, vote for your country many many times!

Note:  You MUST use the form above to vote.  Voting or inflating the number of votes by any other method is not allowed.  You may NOT use any scripts of any kind to vote.  Anyone caught using a script will be temporarily banned.  Repeated abuses will result in a permanent ban. 

You must be logged in to vote!

Due to abuse by a few people using scripts that overloaded or server, we will now require that you register for a free account on CaribbeanChoice.com to vote.

-------------
Scott M. Stolz
CaribbeanChoice.com. Inc. Staff
http://www.wistex.com/ - WisTex | http://www.completehostingguide.com/ - Complete Hosting Guide

Replies:
Posted By: Jurme Dorje
Date Posted: 01áNová2004 at 7:03pm
Everybody vote for Guadeloupe! Don't let Barbados take it again! Keep the pirates at bay!!

Posted By: Commentator
Date Posted: 01áNová2004 at 9:10pm

And they're off! 

Barbados took an instant lead immediately after the poll opened, briefly fighting with the Pirates for first position.  Guyana and Montserrat then joined in, easily passing the distracted Pirates, who had found some buried treasure.  Barbados, on the other hand, sprinted ahead leaving the others in the dust. 

Then Guadeloupe joins the race and passes the Pirates, Guyana and Montserrat to take 2nd position, shouting out a rallying cry as they go by.  It looks like Guadeloupe is issuing a serious challenge to Barbados, who won last month's battle.  Let's see if they have staying power and can catch up to Barbados who is thousands of votes ahead.

-------------

Date Posted: 02áNová2004 at 6:58am
Guyana powers past most of the pack, getting closer to Barbados still in the lead.

-------------

Date Posted: 02áNová2004 at 1:44pm
Looks like Guyana is back, powering past the pack, passing Barbados.  Guyana is now in first position, with Barbados on her heels.

-------------

Date Posted: 03áNová2004 at 3:14am
Barbados sees Guyana pass, and then redoubles their efforts and passes Guyana.

-------------

Date Posted: 03áNová2004 at 3:07pm
Guyana passes Barbados again!  It looks like it's going to be a battle between Barbados and Guyana this month, unless we have some surprise contenders coming from the rear!

-------------
Scott M. Stolz
http://www.wistex.com/ - WisTex | http://www.completehostingguide.com/ - Complete Hosting Guide

Posted By: SPARKLE
Date Posted: 04áNová2004 at 7:32am

Well HELLO! Where is everybody, Where is Mr. or Ms Guadeloupe you have to continue voting for yourself if you want everyone to vote for you, Come on now Montserrat, you said you like this game.

Who ever that was voting for Guyana last night, THANKS for the help, I was beginning to feel lonely up there, don't stop now let's do this. Barbados can make an easy come back .

-------------
SPARKLE {DBT}
Guyanese B

Date Posted: 04áNová2004 at 10:28am
Come on People, today is only the 4th, you have all month to try and win this thing, lift your flag up, be proud of your country, let us have a good "friendly competition" this month, do not let the race be between two countries, join the challenge, join the fun.

-------------
SPARKLE {DBT}
Guyanese B

Date Posted: 06áNová2004 at 8:06pm
Has Barbados and the others put in the towel?  Guyana continues to climb while most other countries haven't moved forward much in the past few days.  The only notable exception is The Pirate Flag which moved from 6th position to 4th position today.

-------------

Date Posted: 06áNová2004 at 9:22pm
Hopefully that is not the case, It is still very early in the month, It would be nice to see the others voting more often, but maybe because it is the weekend they are busy.

-------------
SPARKLE {DBT}
Guyanese B

Date Posted: 07áNová2004 at 2:39am

Originally posted by SPARKLE

Hopefully that is not the case, It is still very early in the month, It would be nice to see the others voting more often, but maybe because it is the weekend they are busy.

Probably.  The traffic drops slightly on weekends every weekend, I've noticed.  Plus, whenever someone becomes to comfortable with the number of votes they have, it seems like someone comes along and out-does them!

-------------
Scott M. Stolz

Date Posted: 08áNová2004 at 5:49am

Antigua & Barbuda has joined in the battle, rising to 4th position over the weekend, passing Montserrat.  The Pirates continue to add votes in an attempt to stay ahead of the advancing Antigua & Barbuda, but it wouldn't take much for Antigua & Barbuda to pass them.

-------------

Date Posted: 08áNová2004 at 5:53am

And now a message from our sponsor:

Did you know that CaribbeanChoice offers Travel?  They have teamed up with the best hotels, airlines, car rental companies and cruise lines to provide you the best travel services for the best prices.  Not just to the Caribbean, but to anywhere in the world!

Visit http://www.caribbeanchoice.com/travel/ - http://www.caribbeanchoice.com/travel/ for more information and to book your trip today!

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

-------------

Date Posted: 08áNová2004 at 6:08am
It looks like Antigua & Barbuda and the Pirates are up early this morning racking up votes, running neck and neck with the Pirates barely ahead of Antigua & Barbuda!

-------------

Date Posted: 08áNová2004 at 6:17am
And the Pirates just can't keep up as Antigua & Barbuda power past the Pirates!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 09áNová2004 at 2:17pm
No change so far today in positions, but Guyana, Antigua & Barbuda and Montserrat continue to move ahead, while the Pirates, Barbados and the others appear to be resting.

-------------

Date Posted: 14áNová2004 at 8:50pm

It looks like the Netherlands Antilles has once again put together a small team of dedicated voters.  They were on the site all day long and have pushed Netherlands Antilles into first place, passing Guyana, Barbados and the others in one single day.  A great example of teamwork that may help them win this month's battle!  But Guyana and Barbados aren't going to allow them to win without a fight!  Sbould be an interesting battle this month!

-------------

Date Posted: 15áNová2004 at 7:36am

Good morning Commentator,

How did you figure it is a small team voting for the Netherlands and it is not script voting ? I just sat at my desk and saw them move ahead more that 250 votes in two minutes. When the gentleman from Guyana said he was voting a lot in September it was called SCRIPT voting. I believe 30,000 or 25,0000 votes were deducted from him.

-------------
SPARKLE {DBT}
Guyanese B

Posted By: AriS
Date Posted: 15áNová2004 at 7:45am

My dear Sparkle

First of all, we don't even know how to script vote. And we would rather win fairly. We may be a group of small islands but never to be underestimated. Ah how  petty. Just becuase your countryperson got busted doesn't mean we do such things. Again we are NOT script voting, I can vouch for that!

Date Posted: 15áNová2004 at 8:01am

Good morning Commentator,

How did you figure it is a small team voting for the Netherlands and it is not script voting ? I just sat at my desk and saw them move ahead more that 250 votes in two minutes. When the gentleman from Guyana said he was voting a lot in September it was called SCRIPT voting. I believe 30,000 or 25,0000 votes were deducted from him.

and by the way you must not be very busy at work if you have the time to count how many times we voted in two minutes. Antillians are not known as cheaters, we win fair and we win often.

Peace

And just enjoy the game

Date Posted: 15áNová2004 at 8:07am

ARIS,

Thank you for your response,That is very good to know, My comments were however for the commentator, I know for a fact that who ever it was from my country that you so put it got BUSTED was voting  a lot like he said. I did not vote in that month but I was certainly monitoring the votes, and just the same way in which you are pushing up your votes HE WAS. And for your information for the last four month or so we too are trying to figure out what the hell is SCRIPT VOTING.

-------------
SPARKLE {DBT}
Guyanese B

Date Posted: 15áNová2004 at 8:13am
I never said I was at work and even if I was, what does my viewing the movements of the Battle or even playing the games got to do with anything. Don't you have time at work to do your own thing ?or have you forgotten that Slavery is over.

-------------
SPARKLE {DBT}
Guyanese B

Date Posted: 15áNová2004 at 8:21am

I never said I was at work and even if I was, what does my viewing the movements of the Battle or even playing the games got to do with anything. Don't you have time at work to do your own thing ?or have you forgotten that Slavery is over.
My point exactly, if you have the time to sit and watch how many times we vote in two minutes then slavery must not be over since you are sitting glued to the screen But oh well it's all clean fun. and as they say on to battle Ariba!

Date Posted: 15áNová2004 at 8:24am

ARIS,

Thank you for your response,That is very good to know, My comments were however for the commentator, I know for a fact that who ever it was from my country that you so put it got BUSTED was voting  a lot like he said. I did not vote in that month but I was certainly monitoring the votes, and just the same way in which you are pushing up your votes HE WAS. And for your information for the last four month or so we too are trying to figure out what the hell is SCRIPT VOTING.

Yeah but when you make comments like that implying we are cheating we have to and will respond.

Date Posted: 15áNová2004 at 8:34am
You see you are new to this game and If you would allow the commentator to respond, you would understand the reasons for my comments. This is by no way an attack on you. So just cool your head and go ahead for your first win. Have fun. REMEMBER it is just a GAME. I won BEFORE and I won BIG. FAIRLY

-------------
SPARKLE {DBT}
Guyanese B

Date Posted: 15áNová2004 at 8:41am

You see you are new to this game and If you would allow the commentator to respond, you would understand the reasons for my comments. This is by no way an attack on you. So just cool your head and go ahead for your first win. Have fun. REMEMBER it is just a GAME. I won BEFORE and I won BIG. FAIRLY

Oh my goodness

Wrong again, none of us are new to the game, and I already read about the scripting, we not that slow. And no we don't take it as an attack, just sour grapes or in your case breadfruit HAHA We cool, and er you need to check the history this is not the first time we won, if you read the history you will see that it is the Netherlands Antilles that established the world record. Remember it is not the size of the man or in this case the country in the fight it is the size of the fight in the man/country.

Peace

Date Posted: 15áNová2004 at 8:53am

WHATEVERIt seems to me that you are looking for a battle apart from the game, but you are running up the wrong tree. I am not a fighter, talking about "sour grapes and breadfruit". FOR THE LAST TIME" I intended to make my comment to the commentator"  not you, and if you won before GREAT. Take it to the store, and while you are at it Break the JUNE month record, and next month Break September. because those were the two months my team and I won. FAIRLY

-------------
SPARKLE {DBT}
Guyanese B

Date Posted: 15áNová2004 at 9:01am

WHATEVERIt seems to me that you are looking for a battle apart from the game, but you are running up the wrong tree. I am not a fighter, talking about "sour grapes and breadfruit". FOR THE LAST TIME" I intended to make my comment to the commentator"  not you, and if you won before GREAT. Take it to the store, and while you are at it Break the JUNE month record, and next month Break September. because those were the two months my team and I won. FAIRLY

whatever is right, who fighting with you? You are having a battle with yourself. and hey you intimated we were scripting so we responded, nuff said. Yada Yada Yada just play the @#$% game nuh?

Date Posted: 15áNová2004 at 9:08am
Have Fun. and keep your language to yourself. I wrote to the commentator, and if I am fighting with myself, I guess you are NOBODY, because I am getting a lot of responses from NOBODY.

-------------
SPARKLE {DBT}
Guyanese B

Date Posted: 15áNová2004 at 9:10am

Have Fun. and keep your language to yourself. I wrote to the commentator, and if I am fighting with myself, I guess you are NOBODY, because I am getting a lot of responses from NOBODY.
this is fun, it's so cute when you get worked up. hey it's all in good fun, live a little, take a deep breath, it's a game just a game

Date Posted: 15áNová2004 at 9:28am
Yeah, I have not have so much fun in a long time especially when you decided to cuss me out. You must be really bored. REMEMBER It is just a GAME. Yeah!!!!!!!!

-------------
SPARKLE {DBT}
Guyanese B

Date Posted: 15áNová2004 at 9:42am
I thought I was the only one " sitting glued to the screen". Anyhow, where is Scott anyway?

-------------
SPARKLE {DBT}
Guyanese B

Date Posted: 16áNová2004 at 10:31pm

I'm here.  Just was taking care of some things today and haven't had time to respond. 

First of all, no cussing.  This is a family forum.

Now, as far as allegations of cheating, I have actually been monitoring this ongoingly by seeing who is logged on, seeing if the number of votes correspond to the number of actual page views, and if the number of votes accumulating is consistent with the number of people logged on, as well as other things that tend to indicate cheating.

So far, I have not seen the tell-tale signs that happened last time people were using scripts.  A few months ago, Guyana racked up thousands of votes a second, most of which were generated by one computer / person and they were punished appropriately by me subtracting all the illegal votes plus a small penalty.  I don't see that happening this time.

Now, it is possible that there is cheating, but as far as I can see Netherlands Antilles and Guyana, so far, have enough people logged in voting at various times to correspond to the number of votes they have. 

I will, however, keep monitoring it by checking logs and doing spot checks to see if there is cheating going on.

Also, I am planning on coming out with Version II of the Battle of the Islands around the 1st of the year.  It will include more tracking and anti-cheating devices, as well as a few more features.  The changes I plan will make it obvious to everyone if someone is cheating.

Hope that clears things up and I'll keep monitoring it.

And please remember, love one another.

-------------
Scott M. Stolz

Date Posted: 17áNová2004 at 5:27am

Scott,

Sorry about the %^*$* the word I used was d*** sorry . Now like I told Sparkle, we don't even know what scripting is, and we would never cheat. We are just a little country but we have proven ourselves (november 2003) so anyway we are having fun, we have been watching from the sidelines for a year and now.......... we're backkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk !

So know Guyana you have received your answer from Scott now on to battle!

Enjoy

Date Posted: 17áNová2004 at 6:21am

Its not just the word itself, but the tone it sets as well.  It's one thing to be competitive, and another thing to personally attack someone.  Remember, it's not just what you say, but how you say it, that counts.  And using curse words in a response could be considered a personal attack, which is prohibited in the forum rules.

And also remember, it takes two to argue.  So if either of you didn't like the exchange, you may consider looking at what YOU said that made it go the way it did (i.e. how you fed the fire instead of cooling things down).  People respond to who you are being, so if you change yourself, you change how people relate to you.

Just some things to think about.  I better sign off before I get to philosophical on you.  I'll check back in later.

So, on with the Battle!

-------------
Scott M. Stolz

Date Posted: 17áNová2004 at 6:36am

Thanks Scott for clearing things up, that is all I wanted to know, I think it is only fair for one to know how you base your decisions.

I kept telling Aris that my comments were intended for the commentator, but it seem to me,  he/she is a warrior (should have been voting for the Pirates) Thank you also for the reminder that this is a family forum. My nine year old daughter votes in the battle very often and she reads the comments, so does my cousin and her children in Maryland.

I am looking forward to your Version II of the Battle of the Islands,hopefully in January. In the mean time Aris could go forward and win the battle like a lone soldier.

-------------
SPARKLE {DBT}
Guyanese B

Date Posted: 17áNová2004 at 6:52am

Hello Scott, Aris and everyone who logged on to the Battle, I am so soorrrrry for the part I have played in the exchange before that got ugly.

This is a good game for us Caribbean people and it should stay that way, no need to spoil it. Like the person from Montserrat said in September, they love the game and do not want it to stop, that is something to consider.

-------------
SPARKLE {DBT}
Guyanese B

Date Posted: 17áNová2004 at 8:45am

Sparkle,

Mwah now chill! This is a battle, (BATTLE OF THE ISLANDS) albeitt a good natured one, since we have participated in the past it has been fun. You need to stop taking things so personally dude or dudette, if you want to send a personal message to Scott I am sure you can,  no big deal. Like we said  you insinuated that we were cheating so we just let you know weren't, and Scott confirmed  We have been voting here for a while and it is all done in good fun, we heard all kinds of comments in the past and we didn't take it personally at all and you shouldn't either.

Peace and chickengrease

Date Posted: 17áNová2004 at 5:10pm

That's the problem with having cheaters, now everyone seems to assume whoever is winning is cheating, which so far, has not been the case.

Don't worry, I will deal with cheaters appropriately.

Just keep voting and have some fun.  And remember, the more people who are voting the more likely you won't be passed by another determined group.

Thanks for making peace and not escalating this into an all out war.

-------------
Scott M. Stolz

Date Posted: 01áDecá2004 at 3:14pm

Sorry, I am running a bit behind this month.  A new battle of the islands poll will be created tonight, December 1, 2004, at about midnight for the December Battle.

Meanwhile, see http://www.caribbeanchoice.com/battle.asp - http://www.caribbeanchoice.com/battle.asp for all the battle details and the new battle once I post it.

-------------
Scott M. Stolz

Date Posted: 01áDecá2004 at 3:17pm

Congratulations to Netherlands Antilles!!!

Heres's the final ranking this month:

Battle of the Islands (Nov)

1. Netherlands Antilles 13900
55%
2. Guyana 6762
27%
3. Barbados 3356
13%
4. Antigua & Barbuda 454
2%
5. Montserrat 260
1%

See http://www.caribbeanchoice.com/battle.asp - http://www.caribbeanchoice.com/battle.asp for more information.

-------------
Scott M. Stolz

Print Page | Close Window