CaribbeanChoice.com
   HOME |  Carnival |  Recipes |  Gourmet Shop |  Islands |  Games |  Market |  News |  Links |  Events |  Articles |  Forums  |  Search 

Forum Categories
 Main Menu

Recipes Main Menu 

Related Forums 
 Caribbean Cooking
 & Recipes Forum 
 International Cooking
 & Recipes Forum 
 Recipe Comments 
 Other Forums 

Popular Forums 

Newsletters 

Food 

Caribbean Corner 

Feedback   
Tell us what you think!
Tell us what you want!

Tuesday, June 2, 2020 

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Caribbean Cooking
 CaribbeanChoice : Food, Cooking & Dining : Caribbean Cooking
Message Icon Topic: Burnt Sugar Casareep Post Reply Post New Topic
scrolljoe
Boatswain
Boatswain

Online Status: Offline

Guyana.gif, 1 kB

scrolljoe’s Recipes

Quote scrolljoe Replybullet Topic: Burnt Sugar Casareep
    Posted: 11 July 2011 at 4:27pm

Fellow West Indians ! There used to be the authentic Cassava Casareep used in a dish we Guyanese call Pepper Pot. Cassava has become expensive and there is a new casareep that is made totally from burnt sugar with spices added. Eats well, does the job . The formula is a closely guarded secret like Kentucky Fried Chicken . Does any one know how this was done by Ma or Grandma ? Peace.
IP IP Logged
sandra
Privateer
Privateer

Dominica.gif, 0 kB

sandra’s Recipes

Quote sandra Replybullet Posted: 12 July 2011 at 7:03am
Where is harmac, eh? I'll see what I can do. Cassava is delicious.   

Edited by sandra - 12 July 2011 at 7:04am
I asked for all things so that I might enjoy life; I was given life so that I might enjoy all things
IP IP Logged
sandra
Privateer
Privateer

Dominica.gif, 0 kB

sandra’s Recipes

Quote sandra Replybullet Posted: 12 July 2011 at 7:09am
Cassareep
Ingredients
1 medium (about 2 pound) young cassava root

Preparation
Peel the cassava with a sharp paring knife or vegetable peeler.
Finely grate the cassava. Place the cassava into a bowl lined with a double-thickness of dampened cheese cloth. Bring the ends of the cheese cloth together to enclose the pulp, and wring the cloth vigorously to extract the cassava juice into the bowl.
Transfer the juice to a heavy skillet. Stirring constantly, cook over moderate heat for about 1 minute, until the cassareep is smooth and thick enough to hold its shape almost solidly in the spoon.
Makes about ½ cup.

Note: The amount of liquid in the cassava may vary, depending on the age and quality of the roots available. Older roots (dark flecks or spots of mould in the flesh of the cassava) will yield little if any juice.

Not the correct one, huh.

Edited by sandra - 12 July 2011 at 7:26am
I asked for all things so that I might enjoy life; I was given life so that I might enjoy all things
IP IP Logged
sandra
Privateer
Privateer

Dominica.gif, 0 kB

sandra’s Recipes

Quote sandra Replybullet Posted: 12 July 2011 at 7:29am
Pepperpot

Pepperpot and garlic pork are among the must-have dishes in Guyana at Christmas. The unique thing about both of these dishes is that they get better with age- just like a good steak, wine, cheese or cured meat. Almost every home on Christmas morning has these dishes on the breakfast table. Click here to read how these dishes are made and aged.

As I’ve said in previous posts and columns, Guyana is made up a 6 races. The dish pepperpot has its origins with our Indigenous peoples (Amerindians). Here are some facts:

The key ingredient in pepperpot is cassava casareep, made from the juice extracted from grated cassava.
It takes the juice of 60 pounds of grated cassava, boiled for hours to produce one-10oz bottle of casreep.
The Indigenous peoples had no refrigeration and so they used casareep for its preservative properities (that is why pepperpot can be left on the stovetop, reheated daily for days and not spoil).
The indigenous peoples used lots of pepper sometimes instead of meat to make pepperpot, hence the name.
Cassava is gluten free, high in fibre and low in fat.
Casareep can be used as a browning agent in a variety of dishes such as stews, pelau etc.
IP IP Logged
sandra
Privateer
Privateer

Dominica.gif, 0 kB

sandra’s Recipes

Quote sandra Replybullet Posted: 12 July 2011 at 7:33am

Recipe for the Casareep:
Grate a cassava over a kitchen towel. Turn the towel closed and press it very hard, so that the juice comes out. This juice should be taken to a boil, adding aromatics (cinnamon for instance), and burnt sugar: this way the thick syrup is obtained and the toxins are removed: the casareep is a powerful antiseptic. This preserves meats and other dishes in tropical regions. But be sure to boil it so that it gets to be very concentrated. It can be used in several other dishes.

The amount of roots to be used depends on the amount of Pepperpot you are planning to cook.

Guyana Pepperpot recipe
There are several recipes of Pepperpot but we chose a simple one:

Ingredients:

3 pounds of pork, (grease out ), cut into small cubes
2 chicken breasts, cut into cubes
3 pounds of beef, cut into cubes
1 cow tail, cut between the bones,
2 red hot peppers thinly sliced
1 cow heel
Water,
Casareep…2 cups or more if needed
Basil, thyme and 2 garlic cloves
1 onion, chopped
1 pig tail (optional)

Preparation:

Cook the heel and the tail (both the cow’s and the pig’s tail) long enough so that they are rather tender. Add the rest of the ingredients, the casareep too, and add the salt and cover it. Bring this to a boil,. Then lower the fire and let it boil for two hours. This boiling should be repeated for at least 6 days, taking the whole thing to boil for at least a half an hour daily, until the meat came out completely of the bones. If you don’t wish to boil it every day, then take it to the refrigerator. But the real Pepperpot is to be left over the stove and boiled every day.

IP IP Logged
sandra
Privateer
Privateer

Dominica.gif, 0 kB

sandra’s Recipes

Quote sandra Replybullet Posted: 12 July 2011 at 7:35am
Okay, that's all I can find about this cassava thingamajing.
IP IP Logged
scrolljoe
Boatswain
Boatswain

Guyana.gif, 1 kB

scrolljoe’s Recipes

Quote scrolljoe Replybullet Posted: 12 July 2011 at 3:57pm

Thanks for your unable assistance Sandra ! In my neck of the woods dem will seh : me kno all 'bout dat.Check this out..a pound of cassava costs GT100.00 ..4lbs ..$400.00...now this gives just half a pint . A beer bottle casareep sells for GT $400.00 ..that's 1 1/2 pints. What the math says is that you will have to work 12 lbs cassava $1200.00 to yield a beer bottle which is sold for $400.00..voodoo economics .All the hype about cassava casareep is just hot air .

It is for this reason that an alternative casareep is produced with mainly burnt sugar . Trouble is that with a little Peter Falk snooping one is amazed to see the less than acceptable manner that these home industries produce the stuff. Knowing the ingredients beside the sugar, one is better off making it at home. OK me sista !

IP IP Logged
sandra
Privateer
Privateer

Dominica.gif, 0 kB

sandra’s Recipes

Quote sandra Replybullet Posted: 14 July 2011 at 7:00am
Oh, well...I'm a bad egg, but I fried my best.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version