CaribbeanChoice.com
   HOME |  Carnival |  Recipes |  Gourmet Shop |  Islands |  Games |  Market |  News |  Links |  Events |  Articles |  Forums  |  Search 

Forum Categories
 Main Menu

Popular Forums 

Newsletters 

Food 

Caribbean Corner 

Feedback   
Tell us what you think!
Tell us what you want!

Monday, July 6, 2020 

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Technology
 CaribbeanChoice : General Discussion : Technology
Message Icon Topic: What do you mean by "know" ... Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 4 Next >>
Citizen Eve
Privateer
Privateer

Online Status: Offline

Grenada.gif, 0 kB Canada.gif, 0 kB

Quote Citizen Eve Replybullet Topic: What do you mean by "know" ...
    Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 12:43pm
When we say we know someone or about something ... what do we really really mean ... share your thoughts boardies ...

When I say I know someone it means to me that I have a personal relationship with that individual ... that we are friends or at least acquaintances ... that I at least have their phone number and know where they live ... that we connect at least occassionally ...
On an issue or thought of technical nature I would have looked into or be familiar with subject matter ... or may be a common experience and we all have an idea of the subject ...

"the time is always ripe to do right", Nelson Mandela.
IP IP Logged
sandra
Privateer
Privateer

Dominica.gif, 0 kB

Quote sandra Replybullet Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 4:47pm
Sometimes we say we know someone but not as a friend or acquaintance.

If we know about something, it means that we have researched the source and have proof that whatever we know is true.
I asked for all things so that I might enjoy life; I was given life so that I might enjoy all things
IP IP Logged
Citizen Eve
Privateer
Privateer

Quote Citizen Eve Replybullet Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 2:47am
But is it correct to say we do when we actually know very little ... guess its the time we live in ... even the hollywood celebrities we think we know!!!
IP IP Logged
sandra
Privateer
Privateer

Dominica.gif, 0 kB

Quote sandra Replybullet Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 8:28am
What I don't like it's when someone tells me "I know you better than you know yourself". This is How in tarnation can you know me better than I know myself, you jack'n'ape. I get real When people say that. Grrrrrrrrr
I asked for all things so that I might enjoy life; I was given life so that I might enjoy all things
IP IP Logged
Citizen Eve
Privateer
Privateer

Quote Citizen Eve Replybullet Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 1:57pm
That would piss me off ... how dare they ... LOLLOL ... or say that they know what you are thinking ... @#$% you ... you do not know whats in my mind ... only me ... only me ... nada nada!
IP IP Logged
Scott
Administrator
Administrator
CaribbeanChoice Staff

Conch Republic Texas.gif, 0 kB

Quote Scott Replybullet Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 2:33pm
Well, I think that could be said, but perhaps on a limited scale.  We all have blind spots where we don't see something ourselves, but it may be very obvious to others.

For example, I know several women who were molested at a young age, who have shared that with me at one point or another, and I helped them get through what they had to deal with as adults.  They all have similar behavioral traits, that while not always obvious to them, have become obvious to me.  They often do not see or know why they act a certain way in certain circumstances.  Part of them healing is for them to see it for themselves.

So, I think that in a limited sense, it is possible to understand someone more than they understand themselves, in one particular area.  But you cannot say that you know someone more than they know themselves if you are applying it to the whole person, because that is not possible.

On the other hand, some people say that they know you more than you know yourself, and what they are really saying is that they have already put you in a box and have decided that is what you are.  I think that is what you are pointing to Sandra.
Scott M. Stolz
CaribbeanChoice.com. Inc. Staff
WisTex | Complete Hosting Guide
IP IP Logged
Scott
Administrator
Administrator
CaribbeanChoice Staff

Conch Republic Texas.gif, 0 kB

Quote Scott Replybullet Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 2:40pm
When people say they "know of" a person, I think that is an accurate statement in the regards that they know the person exists and has some basic information about them.  That says nothing about how well they know them, or even if they know any of the reputation or stories about them are even true.

I know of Chuck Norris and I know lots of Chuck Norris Facts, but I have never met the man, and most of the "facts" are obviously humorous exaggerations and jokes.  I have read some of Chuck Norris' writings about his philosophy on life, and in that sense I know him better than I know some people I know in person.

Of course, there is that phrase again: to know someone.  There are many ways to know someone, and much of them are superficial.  But then it is possible to really know someone too.  I think the phrase is used to loosely to actually mean much in itself.

Edited by Scott - 27 Jan 2010 at 2:42pm
Scott M. Stolz
CaribbeanChoice.com. Inc. Staff
WisTex | Complete Hosting Guide
IP IP Logged
sandra
Privateer
Privateer

Dominica.gif, 0 kB

Quote sandra Replybullet Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 5:03pm
I don't think it's the 'put a person in a box and deciding that's what the person is', Scott. They mean that they know what you're thinking,feeling, what you'll do or say next.
IP IP Logged
vutjebal
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Welcome Committee

Aruba.GIF, 0 kB

Quote vutjebal Replybullet Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 8:26pm

uhhhh.....w8......brb......Sprint

It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in man.
IP IP Logged
sandra
Privateer
Privateer

Dominica.gif, 0 kB

Quote sandra Replybullet Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 3:44am
A person can know how you'll react to a certain situation if they'd already seen your reaction to that situation. Example. If someone told me that I was a skinflint and I got real angry, a person seeing my reaction to that comment would automatically how I'd react if the same thing was said to me again. So, maybe that's what people mean when they say "I know you better than you know yourself."

Edited by sandra - 28 Jan 2010 at 3:46am
IP IP Logged
Page  of 4 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version