CaribbeanChoice.com
   HOME |  Carnival |  Recipes |  Gourmet Shop |  Islands |  Games |  Market |  News |  Links |  Events |  Articles |  Forums  |  Search 

Forum Categories
 Main Menu

Popular Forums 

Newsletters 

Food 

Caribbean Corner 

Feedback   
Tell us what you think!
Tell us what you want!

Saturday, December 15, 2018 

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Discuss Culture & History Articles
 CaribbeanChoice : Articles & Submissions : Discuss Culture & History Articles
Message Icon Topic: U.S. Congress removes Mandela from terrorist list Post Reply Post New Topic
Shucander
Admiral
Admiral

Palm Beach Aruba

Online Status: Offline

Aruba.GIF, 0 kB

Quote Shucander Replybullet Topic: U.S. Congress removes Mandela from terrorist list
    Posted: 28 June 2008 at 8:29am
U.S. Congress removes Mandela from terrorist list
2008-06-27  

WASHINGTON, June 27 (Xinhua) -- Former South African President Nelson Mandela received a gift for his 90th birthday as U.S. Congress finally approved the removal of his name from the country's terrorist list, local media reported on Friday.

The Senate unanimously greenlighted the legislation on a voice vote late on Thursday, removing the "terrorist" label and travel restrictions imposed on Mandela and other senior members of his African National Congress (ANC).

Former South African President Nelson Mandela (Front) waves during the 46664 concert held in his honour in Hyde Park, London June 27, 2008. (Xinhua/Reuters Photo)

A same legislation was passed on May 8 at the House of Representatives.

In an address to the Senate last month, U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice urged for the removal, saying "It is frankly a rather embarrassing matter that I still have to waive in my own counterparts -- the foreign minister of South Africa, not to mention the great leader, Nelson Mandela."

"I really do hope that we can remove these restrictions on the ANC. This is a country with which we now have excellent relations -- South Africa," she said.

The ANC was banned by the South African apartheid government in1960, its leaders jailed or forced into exile until the ban on the movement was lifted 30 years later.

Mandela was jailed for 27 years for his leadership in the struggle against apartheid in South Africa. He became the first post-apartheid-era president years after his release in 1990.

"It is shameful that the United States still treats the ANC this way based solely on its designation as a terrorist organization by the old apartheid South African regime," said Howard Berman, chairman of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs who introduced the legislation.

"It is shameful that the United States still treats the ANC this way based solely on its designation as a terrorist organization by the old apartheid South African regime," he added.

Mandela, who is turning 90 on July 18, celebrate his 90th birthday with a concert in London's Hyde Park on Friday in support of his global AIDS campaign. 

I'm not afraid of storms, for I'm learning how to sail my ship.
IP IP Logged
Citizen Eve
Privateer
Privateer

Grenada.gif, 0 kB Canada.gif, 0 kB

Quote Citizen Eve Replybullet Posted: 29 June 2008 at 2:52am
Very funny actually ... I'd say stick it up where the sun does not shine America ... does he care ... I doubt it ... does his country men care ... very little am sure ... did not stop him from doing what was right for his people ... I say power to Nelson Mandela ... and .... ...... ....

"the time is always ripe to do right", Nelson Mandela.
IP IP Logged
Shucander
Admiral
Admiral

Palm Beach Aruba

Aruba.GIF, 0 kB

Quote Shucander Replybullet Posted: 29 June 2008 at 9:58am
Well Mandela is a great State Man, and his devotion to the cause of overthrowing a brutal and oppressive regime is an inspiration to all, his ultimate victory will lift every one heart. Long live Nelson Mandela.
I'm not afraid of storms, for I'm learning how to sail my ship.
IP IP Logged
sandra
Privateer
Privateer

Dominica.gif, 0 kB

Quote sandra Replybullet Posted: 05 July 2011 at 12:29pm
Gotcha, CE!!!!
I asked for all things so that I might enjoy life; I was given life so that I might enjoy all things
IP IP Logged
Citizen Eve
Privateer
Privateer

Quote Citizen Eve Replybullet Posted: 05 July 2011 at 4:41pm

LOLLOLLOL ... shuc will get you for this ... Evil%20Smile ... he will show you some love tonight ... wait up for him ... LOLLOLLOL ... that warm comfortable soft cuddly is NOT bobsey tonight ... Wink ... IT IS SHUC SEEKING REVENGE ON CE BEHALF ... yeah ... tonight we will fix your tush ... LOLLOL ... go on ... see who have the last laugh tonight ... tonight ... tonight be prepared for some loving of the extraterrestrial kind ... ENJOY ...
IP IP Logged
sandra
Privateer
Privateer

Dominica.gif, 0 kB

Quote sandra Replybullet Posted: 06 July 2011 at 6:24am
CE, I laughing my arsenal off, girl.
I asked for all things so that I might enjoy life; I was given life so that I might enjoy all things
IP IP Logged
Citizen Eve
Privateer
Privateer

Quote Citizen Eve Replybullet Posted: 07 July 2011 at 1:08am

Wink ... you wake up ... Evil%20Smile ... you could walk ... LOLLOL ... are you remembering the dream ... the harlot one ... LOLLOL ... shuc and mocojumbie say you outdid them ... LMAO... the dam broke tonight ... Tongue ...
IP IP Logged
sandra
Privateer
Privateer

Dominica.gif, 0 kB

Quote sandra Replybullet Posted: 07 July 2011 at 8:32am
What dream you talking 'bout, eh?
IP IP Logged
Citizen Eve
Privateer
Privateer

Quote Citizen Eve Replybullet Posted: 10 July 2011 at 4:15pm

... you still plaaying with me eh ... Big%20smile
... the us should be at the top of any terrorist list ... they are the king pin!!
IP IP Logged
vutjebal
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Welcome Committee

Aruba.GIF, 0 kB

Quote vutjebal Replybullet Posted: 30 July 2011 at 7:39pm
What is going on here...between CE and Sandy.....I am all ears....Big%20smile
It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in man.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version