CaribbeanChoice.com
   HOME |  Carnival |  Recipes |  Gourmet Shop |  Islands |  Games |  Market |  News |  Links |  Events |  Articles |  Forums  |  Search 

Forum Categories
 Main Menu

Popular Forums 

Newsletters 

Food 

Caribbean Corner 

Feedback   
Tell us what you think!
Tell us what you want!

Wednesday, December 12, 2018 

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Travel, Vacations & Tourism
 CaribbeanChoice : General Discussion : Travel, Vacations & Tourism
Message Icon Topic: Your Island's Top Places of Interests Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 13 Next >>
Shucander
Admiral
Admiral

Palm Beach Aruba

Online Status: Offline

Aruba.GIF, 0 kB

Quote Shucander Replybullet Posted: 25 May 2008 at 4:25pm

Archaeological%20Museum ARUBA    
Archaeological Museum - with artifacts and pottery retrieved from digs around the island which clearly define the lifestyles of our earliest Indian settlers. Open Monday through Friday from 8 am to noon and 1 pm to 4 pm.

Edited by Shucander - 25 May 2008 at 4:30pm
I'm not afraid of storms, for I'm learning how to sail my ship.
IP IP Logged
Shucander
Admiral
Admiral

Palm Beach Aruba

Aruba.GIF, 0 kB

Quote Shucander Replybullet Posted: 25 May 2008 at 4:26pm

Click%20to%20enlarge    

ARUBA

Plaza Daniel Leo - surrounded by unique Dutch Colonial Buildings.

IP IP Logged
Citizen Eve
Privateer
Privateer

Grenada.gif, 0 kB Canada.gif, 0 kB

Quote Citizen Eve Replybullet Posted: 25 May 2008 at 4:27pm
Grenada's Fedon Mountain & Concord Falls

eco05.jpg%20%2819207%20bytes%29Advanced hikers and trekkers should not fore go the opportunity to take these two more substantial hikes, which link to the Mt. Qua Qua Trail in Grand Etang. The Concord Falls trail branches off from the Mt. Qua Qua Trail after about an hour, leading down through rain forest canopy, over hilltops and gurgling brooks, to bring you to the triple cascades of the Concord Falls. The lowest of the three is a very popular swimming area, camping spot, and tourist attraction, with modern facilities surrounding its generous swimming area. The upper falls, about twenty minutes' hike up the river, are definitely worth the short walk, as they are much less visited and even more beautiful. The 40 ft/12 m cascade plunges down through the thick vegetation to an inviting pool that offers a much more tranquil swim than you will find at the lower falls. The third and uppermost of the three cascades of Concord Falls lies considerably higher up the mountain and requires about two hours further hiking.

Branching off from the Concord Falls Trail before it reaches the cascades is the short but demanding path leading up to the cave-like recess of Fedon's Camp. The camp was the strategic base of Julien Fedon, a Grenadian of French origins who led a slave uprising against the British in 1765. This well-maintained but arduous trail takes you deep into the very heart of the Grand Etang rain forest, through shady groves mahogany, teak, and many of Grenada's other tree species. Giant ferns and bird life abound here, including the green-throated Carib and the yellow-billed cuckoo.

A guide is recommended for both the Fedon's Mountain and the Concord Falls treks.

My most favorite of all the Grand Etang mountain range ... it is our history and culture and piece of eden ... quite an experience ... a very difficult trail and always wet ... rains all the time there.

Edited by Citizen Eve - 30 May 2008 at 5:45pm
"the time is always ripe to do right", Nelson Mandela.
IP IP Logged
Shucander
Admiral
Admiral

Palm Beach Aruba

Aruba.GIF, 0 kB

Quote Shucander Replybullet Posted: 25 May 2008 at 4:28pm

ARUBA

The Protestant Church - built in 1846, this is an architectural gem nestled up against the newer bigger edifice which serves the community and visitors to the island. On the premises is a Bible Museum which is open Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to noon.

Edited by Shucander - 25 May 2008 at 4:30pm
IP IP Logged
Shucander
Admiral
Admiral

Palm Beach Aruba

Aruba.GIF, 0 kB

Quote Shucander Replybullet Posted: 25 May 2008 at 4:32pm

ARUBA

Santa Anna Church - built in the 1770's and well known for its oaken wood carved altar, a prime example of neo-gothic design which won the exhibition award in Rome in 1870.
IP IP Logged
Citizen Eve
Privateer
Privateer

Quote Citizen Eve Replybullet Posted: 25 May 2008 at 4:32pm
St George's is Grenada's picturesque Capital city

It is wrapped around the perimeter of the island's finest natural harbor, is perhaps the most appealing capital city in the entire Caribbean. Founded in the early 18th century by the French, St. George's still possesses something of the character of a French town, particularly in the red tile roofs and pastel colors of its traditional architecture. St. George's contains a number of sites worth exploring such as ...

Carenage
St. George's ideally-formed inner harbour is--as it has been for the last three centuries--the centre of marine activity on the island. The Carenage serves as an anchorage for every sort of vessel imaginable, from small fishing boats and elegant yachts to great white cruise ships. A walk along the encircling Wharf Road allows a lovely view of the harbor and its bounty of colorful ships.

St. George's Roman Catholic Cathedral
The Gothic tower of St. George's, though modest enough, is the most visible landmark in the city. Built in 1818, the tower lends Grenada's capital a distinctively European character.

House of Parliament
Across Church Street from the cathedral are two of St. George's most venerable buildings. York House, purchased in 1801, houses the House of Representatives, the Senate, and the Supreme Court. Along with the neighboring Registry, which was built in 1780, York house is a graceful example of early Georgian architecture.

explor02.jpg%20%2826778%20bytes%29 Market Square
Bustling, noisy, and colorful, the market is the center of the capital's civic life, as it has been for the last two hundred years. It is the main site for the purchase and sale of local produce, as well as the focal point for parades, political speeches, and religious activities. More recently, it has become the starting point for minibuses to the outer areas of the island. No visitor to Grenada should miss the Saturday morning market.

The Esplanade
Just down Granby Street from Market Square is the Esplanade, which looks out to the west across the Caribbean. A fine locale for an evening promenade.

Grenada National Museum
Although the National Museum is not large, it houses a fascinating collection of artifacts from Grenada's cultural history. Its collection extends from ancient times to the present, including material and exhibits on everything from the Carib to the political events of the 1980s.

Sendall Tunnel
This 340-foot tunnel, still the most convenient connection from the Carenage to the Esplanade, was rightly considered a technological triumph when completed the early 18th century. It is named for the island's governor at the time.

explor03.jpg%20%2821522%20bytes%29 Fort George
Fort George is situated on an elevated peninsula that commands the harbor entrance, a position that has given the fort enormous strategic importance since the French constructed it in the first decade of the 18th century. Although it continues to serve as the police headquarters, Fort George is most appreciated today for the views that it offers to sightseers. Much of its elaborate colonial structure remains intact, and part of the pleasure of a visit is rambling around among the passages and stairs of the ancient stone fortifications. Fort George still maintains a battery of old cannons, which are used on special occasions to fire off a resounding salute.

In the 1980s, Fort George once again played a prominent role in Grenadian history as the site of the assassination of Maurice Bishop, along with several members of his cabinet. In 1983, the fort was bombed by American troops.

Fort Frederick
Perched atop Richmond Hill at the center of St. George's, Fort Frederick is a smaller and more recent complement to the imposing Fort George. Built by the British, it was completed in 1791, during the French Revolution.

All of the above may be done easily in a walk around ... remember we are only 133 square miles big!!

Edited by Citizen Eve - 25 May 2008 at 4:39pm
IP IP Logged
Shucander
Admiral
Admiral

Palm Beach Aruba

Aruba.GIF, 0 kB

Quote Shucander Replybullet Posted: 25 May 2008 at 4:33pm
Click%20to%20enlargeARUBA

Bubali Bird Sanctuary - two connected man-made lakes provide sanctuary for more than eighty species of migratory birds including egrets, herons and cormorants, coots, gulls, skimmers, terns, and ducks.
IP IP Logged
Shucander
Admiral
Admiral

Palm Beach Aruba

Aruba.GIF, 0 kB

Quote Shucander Replybullet Posted: 25 May 2008 at 4:35pm

Click%20to%20enlarge

ARUBA

The Old Mill -Currently housing a restaurant, this re-constructed Dutch Windmill built in 1804 and brought to Aruba in 1962, faces the entrance of the Bubali Bird Sanctuary.

IP IP Logged
Shucander
Admiral
Admiral

Palm Beach Aruba

Aruba.GIF, 0 kB

Quote Shucander Replybullet Posted: 25 May 2008 at 4:37pm

ARUBA SURFSIDE

Photo courtesy of Esmeralda Schotman

Swimming Conditions: Excellent with calm water.
Accessible by public bus, car or taxi.

IP IP Logged
Citizen Eve
Privateer
Privateer

Quote Citizen Eve Replybullet Posted: 25 May 2008 at 4:43pm
Levera National Park ... Grenada

eco3.jpg%20%2825003%20bytes%29The 450-acre Levera National Park holds a strong reputation as Grenada's most scenic and spectacular coastal area. Its picture-perfect beach is quite popular on weekends, and its lagoon is one of the most important wildlife habitats on the island. Consisting of an extensive mangrove swamp, the lagoon is a haven for an abundance of bird species, including many herons, black-necked stilts, common snipes, and other waterfowl. Levera's marine areas are equally esteemed, with outstanding coral reefs and sea grass beds that shelter lobsters and beautiful reef fishes. The beaches are also a hatchery for sea turtles, which are protected from May to September. Among the pleasant walks at Levera is a trail that circles the lagoon.

This area is a protected world life sanctuary.

Edited by Citizen Eve - 25 May 2008 at 4:44pm
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 13 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version