CaribbeanChoice.com
   HOME |  Carnival |  Recipes |  Gourmet Shop |  Islands |  Games |  Market |  News |  Links |  Events |  Articles |  Forums  |  Search 

Forum Categories
 Main Menu

Recipes Main Menu 

Related Forums 
 Caribbean Cooking
 & Recipes Forum 
 International Cooking
 & Recipes Forum 
 Recipe Comments 
 Other Forums 

Popular Forums 

Newsletters 

Food 

Caribbean Corner 

Feedback   
Tell us what you think!
Tell us what you want!

Tuesday, June 2, 2020 

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Caribbean Cooking
 CaribbeanChoice : Food, Cooking & Dining : Caribbean Cooking
Message Icon Topic: Coconut oil Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 4 Next >>
harmac
Honorary Consul
Honorary Consul
Ships Cook

Online Status: Offline

Cayman-Islands.GIF, 0 kB

harmac’s Recipes

Quote harmac Replybullet Topic: Coconut oil
    Posted: 27 Mar 2008 at 7:03am
Intresting Article on coconut oil (which i love . hell i am an Island boy.)

Virgin cold pressed coconut oil

Virgin cold pressed coconut oil has miraculous health benefits. The most commonly available coconut oil and the oil you are most likely to find is RBD oil. Refined, bleached and deodorised. This coconut is produced from copra (dried coconut meat). Due to the drying process, the resulting oil must be refined, bleached and deodorised in order to make it suitable for use. The final product is yellowish-white in colour with a thick texture and no taste or odour.

Cold pressed virgin oil

This process produces oil with the least amount of processing so that the natural vitamin E, antioxidants and fresh coconut essence are retained. Coconut oil should be cold pressed and not treated with chemical solvents, bleach or heat. It should not be hydrogenated. For daily use, a virgin cold-press oil will give you the greatest amount of lauric acid for your money. Lauric acid is so disease fighting that it is present in breast milk.

Antiviral, Antimicrobial and Antifungal Properties

As mentioned in the above, coconut oil contains lauric acid and its derivative monolaurin. Both are considered to have properties that destroy viruses, such as HIV, herpes, influenza (the 'flu') and cytomegalovirus bacteria, such as H. pylori, and protozoa, such as giardia.

Increase Metabolic Rate

Coconut oil can be integrated into a healthy weight-loss plan. It stimulates metabolism.

Other Possible Benefits of Coconut Oil

Coconut oil is also believed to help with cholesterol regulation by raising "good" HDL cholesterol. It also shows promise in tumor prevention.

Benefits to the skin

Survey shows that coconut oil supported healthy skin, including:

Smoothing and moisturising effects

Promoting skin elasticity

Convenient eye make-up remove

Use in shaving applications

Protecting your skin from the ageing effects of free radicals and can help improve the appearance of skin with its anti-ageing benefits.

Anti-ageing effects of Coconut Oil

The cholesterol-lowering properties of coconut oil are a direct result of its ability to stimulate thyroid function. In the presence of adequate thyroid hormone, cholesterol (specially LDL-cholesterol) is converted by enzymatic processes to the vitally necessary anti-ageing steroids, pregnenolone, progesterone and DHEA. These substances are required to help prevent heart disease, senility, obesity, cancer and other diseases associated with ageing and chronic degenerative diseases.

Anti-cancer effects of coconut oil

In 1987, Lim-Sylianco published a 50-year literature review showing the anti-cancer effects of coconut oil. In chemically induced cancers of the colon and breast, coconut oil was by far more protective than unsaturated oils. For example, 32 per cent of corn oil eaters got colon cancer whereas only 3 per cent of coconut oil eaters got the cancer. Animals fed unsaturated oils had more tumours. This shows the thyroid-suppressive and hence, immuno-suppressive effect of unsaturated oils (Cohen et al. 1986).

IP IP Logged
sandra
Privateer
Privateer

Dominica.gif, 0 kB

sandra’s Recipes

Quote sandra Replybullet Posted: 27 Mar 2008 at 4:58pm
My mother used to make coconut oil from copra coconuts. ( when we lived in Dominica) I forgot how it is made, but I remember some nasty tasting stuff remaining after the oil was strained or while it was cooking. It tasted nasty also. Harmac? Help with that one.

Anyway, with all the benefits you mention above Harmac, I'm going to stock up on Coconut oil. I see it in the health shops, but I never buy.   First thing on my shopping list tomorrow.

Edited by sandra - 27 Mar 2008 at 5:03pm
I asked for all things so that I might enjoy life; I was given life so that I might enjoy all things
IP IP Logged
p-lady
Boatswain
Boatswain

Cayman-Islands.GIF, 0 kB United-States.gif, 0 kB

p-lady’s Recipes

Quote p-lady Replybullet Posted: 27 Mar 2008 at 5:41pm
harmac, 

do you press your own coconut oil?   Do you cook with it?  I want to know more...
I smile because I am your friend.
IP IP Logged
harmac
Honorary Consul
Honorary Consul
Ships Cook

Cayman-Islands.GIF, 0 kB

harmac’s Recipes

Quote harmac Replybullet Posted: 27 Mar 2008 at 8:14pm
we use to break the coconut open (cold coconut water and rum mmm . in heaven) take out the meat and dry it in the sun (copra) however you dont have to do that you can grate the meat and extract all the juice, then slowely boil the juice, after a while the oil will separate and leave the custard. Sandra girl i use to love the custard with roast yam or potatoe or on fresh harddough bread. Of course if you eat too much of it you will have a clean out. The shell we use to make fire wood and the husk can make a lot of things, nothing on a coconut tree goes to waste. Like a breadfruit tree. I just look today and saw about 10 breadfruit put out.
IP IP Logged
sandra
Privateer
Privateer

Dominica.gif, 0 kB

sandra’s Recipes

Quote sandra Replybullet Posted: 28 Mar 2008 at 5:59am
Harmac, that custard tasted like...number two. Yes, people used the shell to make fire, the husk to scrub/wash plates and pots. So, Harmac, do you like breadnuts? I'm go gaga over them. For some reason I do not like cooked breadnut. I prefer it roasted. The good ole days, eh, Harmac.

I ate so much roast birds. My brother and his friends used to kill and clean the birds and we'd build a fire between stones and roast them. We also used to catch crayfish.......I gotta stop or else I'll start bawling.
I asked for all things so that I might enjoy life; I was given life so that I might enjoy all things
IP IP Logged
harmac
Honorary Consul
Honorary Consul
Ships Cook

Cayman-Islands.GIF, 0 kB

harmac’s Recipes

Quote harmac Replybullet Posted: 28 Mar 2008 at 6:22am
Girl we use to call the crayfish "janga"
this is a breadfruit.
Breadfruit%20cultivated%20on%20Hawaii%20Island
I do like breadnut also. I do feel sorry for the youth of today they will never apreciate the age of innocence we had. Partys without fight or if there is a fight , generally it was about a girl, it would be with your fist. The sneaking around , not today every thing is out in the open.
IP IP Logged
sandra
Privateer
Privateer

Dominica.gif, 0 kB

sandra’s Recipes

Quote sandra Replybullet Posted: 28 Mar 2008 at 6:48am
Sigh....the good, innocent days. Sneaking around to steal a kiss, your heart doing flip flops because you think you're so in love...always thinking about that special person. Listening to all those sweet love songs on the little transistor radio.

Memories to treasure, harmac.
IP IP Logged
harmac
Honorary Consul
Honorary Consul
Ships Cook

Cayman-Islands.GIF, 0 kB

harmac’s Recipes

Quote harmac Replybullet Posted: 28 Mar 2008 at 7:55am
By the way i went to Miami this week end and went into Marshals, i have not been for some time they had so much nice things , i got good coffee i bough Milk soap they had a lot of nick knacks. i had a ball . they had some spreader knives for cheese spread, and corn holders. i have a big plastic box where i purchase gifts through the year and dump them in, at the end of the year you dont have to desperately find a gift. 
IP IP Logged
sandra
Privateer
Privateer

Dominica.gif, 0 kB

sandra’s Recipes

Quote sandra Replybullet Posted: 30 Mar 2008 at 2:22pm
Harmac, I wwnt to the market yestersay and bought a pint of coconut oil for $8.00 U.S. I blended some aloes, tomatoes, cucumbers, tossed in a dash of coconut oil with some jelly nut water and threw it down the hatch. I also mixed some of the coconut oil with my body lotion and slathered it over my body after my bath.
IP IP Logged
vutjebal
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Welcome Committee

Aruba.GIF, 0 kB

vutjebal’s Recipes

Quote vutjebal Replybullet Posted: 30 Mar 2008 at 2:33pm
Wow  sandy  like I can see you have  just  2 more  to go....Lets do it  girl...
It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in man.
IP IP Logged
Page  of 4 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version