CaribbeanChoice.com
   HOME |  Carnival |  Recipes |  Gourmet Shop |  Islands |  Games |  Market |  News |  Links |  Events |  Articles |  Forums  |  Search 

Forum Categories
 Main Menu

Popular Forums 

Newsletters 

Food 

Caribbean Corner 

Feedback   
Tell us what you think!
Tell us what you want!

Tuesday, July 14, 2020 

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Society & Social Issues
 CaribbeanChoice : General Discussion : Society & Social Issues
Message Icon Topic: Only in America does race define everythi Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 6 Next >>
Citizen Eve
Privateer
Privateer

Online Status: Offline

Grenada.gif, 0 kB Canada.gif, 0 kB

Quote Citizen Eve Replybullet Posted: 16 Dec 2007 at 7:11pm
Thats ok Duck Sauce, am not "thin skin".
I've heard numerous takes on the issue in other social networks ... all different ... am sticking to mine ... its one of the beauty of democracy ... I respect everyone's opinion although I may not support it ... thanks for engaging me.
Have a great evening.
"the time is always ripe to do right", Nelson Mandela.
IP IP Logged
Scott
Administrator
Administrator
CaribbeanChoice Staff

Conch Republic Texas.gif, 0 kB

Quote Scott Replybullet Posted: 16 Dec 2007 at 7:26pm
You never really said your take on the issue.  You just posted the e-mail and asked for other's opinions.

What do you think of the e-mail?
Scott M. Stolz
CaribbeanChoice.com. Inc. Staff
WisTex | Complete Hosting Guide
IP IP Logged
Citizen Eve
Privateer
Privateer

Quote Citizen Eve Replybullet Posted: 17 Dec 2007 at 1:18am
Scott, as the British philosopher Edmund Burke said, "Bad laws are the worst tyranny".
I trust his wisdom.
I am well aware that the issue relates to an act and not law.
Peace be with you.
IP IP Logged
Scott
Administrator
Administrator
CaribbeanChoice Staff

Quote Scott Replybullet Posted: 18 Dec 2007 at 5:16pm
I've been doing some reading, and I think Duck Sauce is right.  The Voting Rights Act is a law.  The issue is certain amendments to the law, and whether or not they should be renewed.

Whoever wrote the original e-mail you posted must not have known that.

An Act of Congress is a statute enacted by the United States Government and is legally empowered by the United States Constitution. The legislation is passed, and therefore becomes federal law, when it receives a simple majority in both houses of Congress and is subsequently signed by the President. A majority of representatives in both the lower house, the House of Representatives, and the upper house, the Senate, must vote for the legislation and the President must sign it before it is declared federal law.

The National Voting Rights Act of 1965 was signed into law in 1965.

The National Voting Rights Act of 1965 (42 U.S.C. § 1973–1973aa-6) outlawed the requirement that would-be voters in the United States take literacy tests to qualify to register to vote, and it provided for federal registration of voters in areas that had less than 50% of eligible minority voters registered. The Act also provided for Department of Justice oversight to registration, and the Department's approval for any change in voting law in districts that had used a "device" to limit voting and in which less than 50% of the population was registered to vote in 1964. It was signed in 1965, and signed for a 25 year extension by President George W. Bush on July 27, 2006.

The law has already been extended by George Bush. 

According to what I read, the part that was up for renewal is the provisions that monitor certain states behaviors.  The part of the law that prohibits poll taxes and literacy tests is permanently the law.

What is interesting though is that no where does it guarantee citizens the right to vote.   I think that is a bigger issue to look at. 

Edited by Scott - 18 Dec 2007 at 5:37pm
Scott M. Stolz
IP IP Logged
Citizen Eve
Privateer
Privateer

Quote Citizen Eve Replybullet Posted: 19 Dec 2007 at 1:30am
Thanks for the update Scott ... indeed interesting ... but does not solve the problem of which we speak.

Edited by Citizen Eve - 28 Apr 2008 at 9:42am
IP IP Logged
Scott
Administrator
Administrator
CaribbeanChoice Staff

Quote Scott Replybullet Posted: 23 Dec 2007 at 2:27am
Yeah, I am a bit of a history buff myself.  Didn't know much about this until you and Duck Sauce posted about it. Always nice to learn new things. 
Scott M. Stolz
IP IP Logged
Citizen Eve
Privateer
Privateer

Quote Citizen Eve Replybullet Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 9:31am
Originally posted by caymanian

Citizen Eve,

This is just my observance, but you are the one who seem to have a problem with race, as the great grand son of a slave from Cuba I know what I am, and I do know about the ignorance of others. I never discuss "Race" I just do what I have to do. I find Americans love to talk about race and quite a few West Indians get caught up in it.

Because of my so call “race” I don’t have to act a certain way or isolate myself. As I have seen living in USA for over thirty odd years and was an active member of the Civil Rights in the sixties. I also find if you go looking for racism it will be every where to see. Racism is a natural thing; acting on it is where it goes wrong.

I remember when Bill Cosby was not black enough because No black man live that good as was portrayed in his weekly’s shows. But I must say that you are correct when you say in America Race seem to be a great issue. Seeing that in the Caribbean nearly every one has a Chinese, white or Indian relative. So please not let the Disease of racism enter our little haven. Hate can hold you back to the point you are unable to use your full potential.

Caymanian ... I do not understand why you would think that am the one with a problem of race ... I did not invent racial discrimination nor was I the first or last to talk about racism on this forum ... racism has always been a part of the American experience ... from the Mayflower to today ... look at its history at home and abroad ... hey, lets be fair here now ... you do not have to go too far to see its ugly head ... denying its existence does not help to solve the problem ... is this some sort of initiation for newbies ... unreal ...
Very current is the Democratic Leadership race ... many are trying real hard to make it a discussion on race ... no where do I know that one's skin color is a leadership skill ... am amazed ...  and troubled by intolerance regardless of the source.

Edited by Citizen Eve - 28 Apr 2008 at 9:39am
IP IP Logged
Citizen Eve
Privateer
Privateer

Quote Citizen Eve Replybullet Posted: 15 June 2008 at 8:50am
This could be a really good discussion in light of the upcoming election in US ... remember you are anonymous ... what are we afraid of ... healthy debate is good for the state and its people ... Wink ... or is it the"holiday syndrome" ... we all have a stake in what goes down in Washington ... internationally for that matter ... look at the real estate crisis in US for example ...

Edited by Citizen Eve - 15 June 2008 at 8:54am
IP IP Logged
harmac
Honorary Consul
Honorary Consul
Ships Cook

Cayman-Islands.GIF, 0 kB

Quote harmac Replybullet Posted: 15 June 2008 at 11:11am
Eve you know something i have noticed over the years but never really checked out, Do you realise men look at race issue differently than women. Race issue is looked on by Caribbean folks quite differently than Americans, we in the caribbean dont even regard Obama as a black man but simply as a man while the Americans do see his race first. Take a black man and put him in Sweden and see where the raceism goes, thats why years ago i realize raceism is not a natural thing. Just look at children together. Thas why i donr even let it bother me. Some like beef some like pork. but regrefully Iqnorance prevails.
Politics and Religion as a practice, has always been the systematic organization of hatred and discrimination
so Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds Explore. Dream. Discover.
IP IP Logged
Citizen Eve
Privateer
Privateer

Quote Citizen Eve Replybullet Posted: 15 June 2008 at 5:50pm

Good point Harmac ... I haven't noticed the male/female difference when it comes to racism ... but, definitely that of Caribbean folks and African Americans ... think our political histories play a big part ... plus we are more aggressive and tend to get what we want Wink ... secondly, and a sad thing ... but the African Americans seem to have bought into the idea that they are second class citizens meaning that they have become their own worst enemies ... and I reiterate ... race is not a skill and has no place in selecting a leader or right person for job, period ...
I really admire Obama for staying clear of it even with persistent nudge of Republicans and the Clinton camp ... politics could be very twisted ... and the media plays a very big part ... I say thats where we should be putting our money if we want to affect change ... buy CNN!!!

IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 6 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version