CaribbeanChoice.com
   HOME |  Carnival |  Recipes |  Gourmet Shop |  Islands |  Games |  Market |  News |  Links |  Events |  Articles |  Forums  |  Search 

Forum Categories
 Main Menu

Battle of the
 Islands

Popular Forums 

Newsletters 

Food 

Caribbean Corner 

Feedback   
Tell us what you think!
Tell us what you want!

Wednesday, September 30, 2020 

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
The Caribbean Room
 CaribbeanChoice : General Discussion : The Caribbean Room
Message Icon Topic: Anansi stories Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 4 Next >>
sandra
Privateer
Privateer

Online Status: Offline

Dominica.gif, 0 kB

Quote sandra Replybullet Posted: 09 May 2007 at 7:03am
I love brer anansi stories. brer anansi is a spider, isn't he?
I asked for all things so that I might enjoy life; I was given life so that I might enjoy all things
IP IP Logged
vutjebal
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Welcome Committee

Aruba.GIF, 0 kB

Quote vutjebal Replybullet Posted: 09 May 2007 at 7:07am
Yepes sandy  I think  so.....?? where is  shuc..... I think  he  was  talking  about  a spider...Big%20smile
It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in man.
IP IP Logged
Shucander
Admiral
Admiral

Palm Beach Aruba

Aruba.GIF, 0 kB

Quote Shucander Replybullet Posted: 09 May 2007 at 11:54am

Yes Anansi is a spider call to the Honor of Ashanti people.

Anansi the spider is a trickster character that appears in many western African folktales. In one story he lures a swarm of hornets into a gourd, where he will trap them. Anansi stories original came to the Caribbean by slaves brought from Africa hundreds of years ago.  Stories of  Kweku Anansi are still told by the Ashanti people in Ghana, Nigeria Africa
Star

Edited by Shucander - 09 May 2007 at 11:58am
IP IP Logged
grenadiangyal7
Landlubber
Landlubber

Quote grenadiangyal7 Replybullet Posted: 11 May 2007 at 10:18pm

Thanks for your help everyone, especially shucander! The Anansi stories were awesome!

IP IP Logged
vutjebal
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Welcome Committee

Aruba.GIF, 0 kB

Quote vutjebal Replybullet Posted: 11 May 2007 at 10:25pm
Thanks...............and to shucander   well done  nice  job..Thumbs%20Up
It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in man.
IP IP Logged
Shucander
Admiral
Admiral

Palm Beach Aruba

Aruba.GIF, 0 kB

Quote Shucander Replybullet Posted: 11 May 2007 at 11:54pm
WinkYeah thanx, to understand why this story so important is for us, in the Netherlands present day, they try to immortally this story forever. 

And remember our motto:
Keep Anansi alive and spinning!

Star
IP IP Logged
Shucander
Admiral
Admiral

Palm Beach Aruba

Aruba.GIF, 0 kB

Quote Shucander Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2007 at 12:00am

WHY WISDOM IS EVERYWHERE

Author: unknown

A long time ago, Anansi the spider, had all the wisdom in the world stored in a huge pot. Nyame, the sky god, had given it to him. Anansi had been instructed to share it with everyone.

Every day, Anansi looked in the pot, and learned different things. The pot was full of wonderful ideas and skills.

Anansi greedily thought, "I will not share the treasure of knowledge with everyone. I will keep all the wisdom for myself."

So, Anansi decided to hide the wisdom on top of a tall tree. He took some vines and made some strong string and tied it firmly around the pot, leaving one end free. He then tied the loose end around his waist so that the pot hung in front or him.

He then started to climb the tree. He struggled as he climbed because the pot of wisdom kepts getting in his way, bumping against his tummy.

Anansi's son watched in fascination as his father struggled up the tree. Finally, Anansi's son told him "If you tie the pot to your back, it will be easier to cling to the tree and climb."

Anansi tied the pot to his back instead, and continued to climb the tree, with much more ease than before.

When Anansi got to the top of the tree, he became angry. "A young one with some common sense knows more than I, and I have the pot of wisdom!"

In anger, Anansi threw down the pot of wisdom. The pot broke, and pieces of wisdom flew in every direction. People found the bits scattered everywhere, and if they wanted to, they could take some home to their families and friends.

That is why to this day, no one person has ALL the world's wisdom. People everywhere share small pieces of it whenever they exchange ideas.

Star

IP IP Logged
weezie
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

New-York.gif, 0 kB

Quote weezie Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2007 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by ilam96

Belizean Anansi Story for you, sorry it took so long....

wow Shuc, you really on a roll here, lol

Question Ermm
IP IP Logged
weezie
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

New-York.gif, 0 kB

Quote weezie Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2007 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by liac

Thank for sharing these ‘Nancy Stories’ it was fun read them! Thumbs%20Up

We called them Nancy Stories also...
Everybody owned a little bench that we carried around, so we can sit and tell 'Nancy Stories" until...Shocked
Until we get to the 'jumbie ones' or 'ghost ones', then everybody would run home scared to death (in the dark)...

IP IP Logged
Shucander
Admiral
Admiral

Palm Beach Aruba

Aruba.GIF, 0 kB

Quote Shucander Replybullet Posted: 26 May 2007 at 10:56pm

Anansi and the Pot of Wisdom

Once upon a time, there lived Kwuku Anansi and his family in a small village near a deep river. Anansi, Konoroh Yaa and the children led a dissatisfied life. Anansi was a successful farmer and a linguist of the chief of the village. He commanded respect among the elders of the village.

In spite of all these, he was not satisfied. He wanted to become the wisest man in the village and eventually the chief. Since the head of the family was not happy, the wife and children were also in the same mood.   One sleepless night followed another. Anansi tossed from side to side on his bed and Konorah Yaa his wife was becoming worried. “What is worrying you my dear husband?” she asked with a lot of affection. “O” nothing really serious, it is just that the cases at the court are becoming too many” he replied, trying to hide the cause of his worry.

Anansi’s worries increased with each passing day. He lost appetite for food and sat in a somber mood each day, he was fed up with being just a linguist. He wanted to hold the akofena, the chief’s sceptre, and to have an umbrella hovering over his head. Then suddenly, one afternoon, Anansee smiled to himself. He was very sure he had found a solution to his problem. He must collect all the wisdom around including the chiefs and hide it. Life came into Anansi, he became a bit cheerful, but did not hide the fact that he was still worried. “ Agya Anansi what is wrong with you these days?” is it the naughty children and the affairs of the home?” the chief asked with concern.

“Oh, it is the woman and her problem of chopmoney. I am getting fed up with her” Anansi said with a sad smile on his face. “O Anansi you are the most intelligent man in my court. I will help you out of this problem. Just tell me how much money you need”, the chief enquired. “I think I can manage things at home, thank you” Anansi said.

Anansi sat alone always in very profound thought. Occasionally there was a sinister smirk on his face. At long last the idea of the wisdom pot was hatched.   One afternoon, when all the inhabitants of the village had gone to their farms Anansi got a small black pot and started collecting wisdom. It was very easy, by the help of the village fetish priest who used a charm to collect all the wisdom. He was a very wicked man. He left even his wife and children with nothing in their heads. There was only one person he couldn’t deprive of wisdom and that was his son Ntikumah. In fact, ever since his father’s countenance changed, Ntikumah’s eyes were glued to him. He followed him secretly wherever he went. He knew his father was up to something sinister.

Anansi stopped going to the chief’s court. He pretended to be seriously sick and was left alone at home when the others went to farm. At such times he thought about where to hide the wisdom pot. The idea came very suddenly.

One Saturday morning, when all the villages including his wife and children had left for their farms, he got up and picked the pot to execute his plan. It was a very quiet morning, only the cries of birds and the roar of the flooded river were heard. Anansi moved quietly on until he came to the deep river. A tree stood tall and challenging.

Anansi took a quick look around, and satisfied that there was on one around, he got his climbing gear ready, and started climbing with the pot in from of him. It was approaching midday and all was quiet. He was full of great expectations. ““To be the only wise man in the village…that would be so great…” he mused. The pot on his stomach hampered climbing, yet he struggled fruitlessly to climb. He would painfully climb a few steps up, then slip down, up..slip,up..slip, so it went on. Anyone else would have given up, but not Anansi. The prospect of becoming the wisest man in the village urged him on. It was too good a chance to miss. But Anansi could no longer stand the strain. As mentioned earlier on Ntikumah had been spying on his father, ever since he noticed a change in Anansi and suspected he was up to something bad. Sometimes he pretended  he as going to farm but would come back secretly to spy on his father. This particular day was no exception.

Ntikumah was beginning to enjoy his father’s frustration. His father was sweating profusely, as he climbed up, and slipped down. He watched his father sweating profusely in frustration. Eventually as he saw his father making no progress and felt that he had been punished enough, he decided to help him.

“Father put the pot behind you” Ntikumah shouted. Imagine Anansi’s shock. He turned around quickly and saw his son Ntikumah and wondered what he was doing there. He saw the wisdom in his son’s advice, but Anansi’s humiliation at having been outwitted was so great, that he dropped the pot and it fell on a big rock in the river and broke into pieces scattering the wisdom all over the world. Anansi climbed up the tree , without the wisdom pot and lived the rest of his life in misery and shame up there.

Star

IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 4 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version