CaribbeanChoice.com
   HOME |  Carnival |  Recipes |  Gourmet Shop |  Islands |  Games |  Market |  News |  Links |  Events |  Articles |  Forums  |  Search 

Forum Categories
 Main Menu

Popular Forums 

Newsletters 

Food 

Caribbean Corner 

Feedback   
Tell us what you think!
Tell us what you want!

Sunday, December 8, 2019 

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Society & Social Issues
 CaribbeanChoice : General Discussion : Society & Social Issues
Message Icon Topic: Ex cocaine addict writes life story as warning Post Reply Post New Topic
harmac
Honorary Consul
Honorary Consul
Ships Cook

Online Status: Offline

Cayman-Islands.GIF, 0 kB

Quote harmac Replybullet Topic: Ex cocaine addict writes life story as warning
    Posted: 24 Feb 2007 at 8:57am

Ex cocaine addict writes life story as warning

Saturday, February 24, 2007

< content="MS 6.00.6000.16414" name=GENERATOR>

Edward Pars
who has written a book
about his life of cocaine
addiction, called,
‘My Life Story.’
Photo by Christopher Tobutt

Edward Pars was addicted to cocaine from 1983 to 2004. After battling his habit for nearly three years, he decided to write a book about his experiences as a cocaine addict, with the hope that he would deter young people from going down the same path.

“I really hope this book is going to help someone else stay away from this thing…[when addicted] you lie, you steal, you cheat, you sell the clothes off your back, you steal from your wife, sisters, friends, brothers. You don’t care,” Mr Pars said.

“I used to be a three-piece suit kind of cat, but it came to where I was walking around with stinking dirty clothes for a week at a time.

“You think you are hurting nobody but yourself, but then that is a big lie too, because when you are addicted, you are hurting everybody around you.”

Mr Pars’ journey into a cocaine nightmare first began in 1983. At first, Mr Pars said, like many young people who get addicted, he was reluctant to try it but didn’t want to look foolish in front of his friends.

“It was a Christmas night and we went to the Galleon Beach Hotel, and after the dance we all went on the beach. All were drinking and some were smoking weed, and then a fellow came out with this little piece of white thing.

“A friend started telling me about this thing, how much it had cost, and what it would do for you. They said, ‘It will make you feel so good and have wonderful sex, so I said, ‘This little thing here? It looks like a marl rock.’ Then somebody left to get a soda can to make a pipe out of, and they came back and put some holes in it, some ashes in it, and then put a little piece of this white thing.

“Everyone took a hit of it and eventually it was passed to me. I said, ‘Not me, this is bad stuff.’ They said, ‘Man, it’s Christmas, time to get down.’”

“As far as I was concerned it didn’t really do anything; it was a waste of time, but I went to another party a couple of days later and it was there again and everybody was doing it; that time it was really more of a dare because all the girls were smoking it, so I went along with it,” he said.

Still, Mr Pars was not aware he was addicted, but that all began to change after he left for the United States, and soon found himself at another party where cocaine was available.

“I left and went to California, and when I went to Los Angeles I was at another party, and some were snorting it and smoking this stuff, and I smoked it all that night.”

“I went to a lot of parties in that month and there was cocaine at all of them, and I wasn’t going to be the odd-ball.”

Mr Pars said he finally realised that he had become addicted after celebrating a payday by going to the bar.

“I got a job with the Xerox Corporation at Long Beach on the first pay day, we went to a bar and I had some drinks, and the drinks didn’t give me the effect that I wanted so I enquired around and found some cocaine.

After that I went looking for it and it didn’t have to come to me any more - I wanted it,” he said.

After that, Mr Pars said, his life descended into the degrading slavery of cocaine addiction, a fate that he earnestly wishes young people would avoid.

“I see too many people going down the wrong road with this cocaine,” he said.

“I wouldn’t want them to do it because you lose respect for yourself, for your family and your friends, and it ruins your life.”

“You become a slave to it, because when you work, you are working strictly to buy dope. It’s far from being cool.”

Despite having been there, and experienced the hell of cocaine addiction firsthand, Mr Pars said that he frequently experiences extreme frustration at not being listened to by many young people, who seem to think they know better.

“I try talking to some of them and they just don’t listen. They think they know it all already. Some respect me, but others say, ‘I’m not going to end up like you, I can control it,’ which is another lie,” he said.

It is partly because of this sense of frustration and his knowledge of the pain that cocaine inflicts, that Mr Pars has written the book.

“I’m not looking for any profit in it, I’m just looking to help somebody. It’s an easy road to go into, but it takes a long time to get back.”

Since recovering from his addiction, Mr Pars’ life has slowly but surely been coming back together. “I’ve got a regular job. I just bought a car, got a piece of land, and I’m building a house.

I’m slowly getting back the respect of friends and family. The people who I thought would never speak to me, I am slowly winning their respect. Life is just good now,” he said.

christopher@caymannetnews.com

IP IP Logged
Aeprincess777
Landlubber
Landlubber

Aruba.GIF, 0 kB United-States.gif, 0 kB

Quote Aeprincess777 Replybullet Posted: 24 Feb 2007 at 2:29pm
hi, mr.pars after reading your story
it seems like you had alot of courage
to realize and to come to your sences that
you were distroying and wasting your life.
And I only hope that other addicts would take
time to read your book instead of getting high
and distroying themselves because time flies.
It is time to wake up and smell the coffee people.
It is never too late to start over again ,regards aeprincess777
I am proud of you mr.pars  
others to look up at you.     
IP IP Logged
vutjebal
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Welcome Committee

Aruba.GIF, 0 kB

Quote vutjebal Replybullet Posted: 24 Feb 2007 at 4:48pm
Great, when people like mr Pars can realize in time and come back as who he was before using drugs.
I admire people like mr Pars....because he accepted the help of the Lord.(Jesus).......
The All Mighty wants to help everyone, but not everyone accept his help.
That's what I call ..**The touch( the hand) on your shoulder**

I know a person, who came so far ,that the drugsdealer, the creditcard handled and when the payment(salary) was on the bankaccount , the drugsdealer going with him to the bank and take out the bankaccount the amount , that the addicted person owns him. So he takes his money first  and then what was leftover  on the bankaccount, was what he has to come around with. And he has a good job.(still)

Now it  so far, that he is  in a kick-off center, going to church, studying  the bible and doing some work-shop. He signed in  for 9 months, so in april he will come out and he is still clean and he is more worried about himself now.

So I wish mr Pars all the best and succes with his book.
God bless you all.

Edited by vutjebal - 24 Feb 2007 at 5:04pm
It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in man.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version