CaribbeanChoice.com
   HOME |  Carnival |  Recipes |  Gourmet Shop |  Islands |  Games |  Market |  News |  Links |  Events |  Articles |  Forums  |  Search 

Forum Categories
 Main Menu

Popular Forums 

Newsletters 

Food 

Caribbean Corner 

Feedback   
Tell us what you think!
Tell us what you want!

Thursday, December 12, 2019 

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Society & Social Issues
 CaribbeanChoice : General Discussion : Society & Social Issues
Message Icon Topic: Slave Mentality Post Reply Post New Topic
weezie
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Online Status: Offline

New-York.gif, 0 kB

Quote weezie Replybullet Topic: Slave Mentality
    Posted: 06 Feb 2007 at 12:31pm
 Slave Mentality ?
We use this expression so often; but what does it means...
Someone with a Slave Mentality, what do they do...
What are the clues?

IP IP Logged
ilam96
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
CaribbeanChoice Staff

Belize.gif, 0 kB United-States.gif, 0 kB

Quote ilam96 Replybullet Posted: 06 Feb 2007 at 12:43pm
they are paranoid that 'white' people are always 'keeping' them down, they are never given an opportunity, they don't look for the silver lining
"I cried because I had no shoe, until I met a man with no feet."
IP IP Logged
weezie
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

New-York.gif, 0 kB

Quote weezie Replybullet Posted: 06 Feb 2007 at 12:53pm
Never paranoid of 'black' people 'keeping' them down....Evil%20Smile
IP IP Logged
Scott
Administrator
Administrator
CaribbeanChoice Staff

Conch Republic Texas.gif, 0 kB

Quote Scott Replybullet Posted: 06 Feb 2007 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by weezie

Never paranoid of 'black' people 'keeping' them down....Evil%20Smile

But actually kept down by fellow black people and themselves more than they are kept down by white people, in reality.

I'm almost hesitant to put this out here, because some people may take it the wrong way, but I think its something that would be useful to look at if we are serious about healing and empowering our communities.  Plus, since I have been exposed to a variety of communities and races, I think I can give a more objective point of view.

In the U.S. there is the Ghetto Mentality, which is probably similar, which is usually one of the following:
  1. Where they think that they deserve something because of what their ancestors went through (i.e. slavery, discrimination, etc.), but are unwilling to do what it takes to succeed.  They often claim racism exists or that there are no opportunities, yet immigrants of the same color are often very successful in the same cities they live in.  Examples: Black immigrants from Africa or the Caribbean tend to be more successful in the U.S., on average, especially in business, than American Blacks from the ghettos who have access to the same resources as the immigrants.  These Blacks in the ghettos often stay on welfare rather than start businesses or pursue education & careers like the immigrants do.  They almost always blame someone else for their own actions.
  2. They have been surrounded by negative people who tell them that they are worthless and can't succeed and have heard it so long that they believe that, even though its not true.  Often abused by others in their own community who are the same color, and sometimes even by family members.  They stay down because they are constant told they can't succeed so why try.
  3. They are angry at their situation, and years of abuse at the hands of fellow Blacks has caused them to become either very bitter and/or cynical, which can lead to them taking action, which may or may not be positive.
Obviously, people fall in a variety of categories and may be one and not the other.  And obviously, this does not apply to all people.

I think that it is related to having a low self-esteem as well, or sometimes an overinflated self-esteem (i.e. we are better than other people) which is really someone who has low self-esteem trying to prove to themselves and others that they are worth something.

I have friends who grew up in the ghettos, and it is a negative, abusive place that hold people down.  And it is because of the mentality of the people there (i.e. they usually think they are not worthy or capable).  I try to make them realize they are more capable than they think they are, but they themselves have a hard time seeing their own worth.

And, although the issue of slavery is specific to the Black community, Hispanics from the Barrio (Spanish ghetto) and Whites from the trailer park often exhibit the same traits described in 2 & 3.  So it should be noted that some of the mentality comes from being poor growing up in a ghetto and is not specific to people who's ancestors where slaves.

So there definitely is an issue with people not realizing they can achieve whatever they want in life.  All people are capable.  Its whether or not they believe in themselves.  Most people don't.

Edited by Scott - 06 Feb 2007 at 5:08pm
Scott M. Stolz
CaribbeanChoice.com. Inc. Staff
WisTex | Complete Hosting Guide
IP IP Logged
Shucander
Admiral
Admiral

Palm Beach Aruba

Aruba.GIF, 0 kB

Quote Shucander Replybullet Posted: 11 Feb 2007 at 8:48am
Slave Mentality

Dare I take the master-slave connection a step further to point out that many people – of all races and ethnicities – have allowed themselves to be modern-day slaves. Indeed, a person does not have to be Black to exhibit a slave mentality. Unwittingly, too many of us – and it does not matter whether we are Black, Asian, Chicano or White – perpetuate "the Master’s will" through our own self-hatred and destructive behavior. For those individuals who are in denial, here are some recognizable signs of self-perpetuation of slave behavior, be it in prison or in society.

Modern-Day Slave Traits

1. A modern-day slave will neglect to educate himself, which in turn creates mental slavery. (During slavery, Blacks were prohibited from learning to read or write. So, these days, everyone should take advantage of the opportunity to get an education.)
  2. A modern-day slave will swindle and commit other crimes against his own people and others instead of helping to break the chains of poverty by earning an honest living.
  3. A modern-day slave will perpetuate self-hate through committing violence on people of his same ethnicity, such as black-on-black violence, including murder, which is a form of genocide.
  4. A modern-day slave will deal, buy and/or use drugs that will make him and others function as slaves (addicts) to drugs, slaves to misery and slaves to defeat.
  5. A modern-day slave will adopt the wicked ways of the slave master, who disrespected and abused women.
  6. A modern-day slave will abandon his children – leaving them for someone else to raise – just as the old masters abandoned Black children by selling them off to other slave owners, not caring about their fate.
  7. A modern-day slave will foolishly commit crimes that cause him to end up behind bars, incarcerated, in mental and physical bondage.

Take a look at this list and then read it again. Look within yourself for any similarities and eliminate your modern-day slave traits. If you cannot admit to any of the seven signs, you are in denial. But all is not lost. The first step toward defeating a slave mentality begins with your acknowledgment that it exists.

Star
IP IP Logged
Scott
Administrator
Administrator
CaribbeanChoice Staff

Quote Scott Replybullet Posted: 11 Feb 2007 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by Shucander

Slave Mentality

Dare I take the master-slave connection a step further to point out that many people – of all races and ethnicities – have allowed themselves to be modern-day slaves. Indeed, a person does not have to be Black to exhibit a slave mentality.
Star

Interesting point.  ALL races have had their people enslaved at one point or another in history.  Mesopotamian, Egyptian, Hebrew, Greek, Roman, Persian, Chinese, Mayan, Aztec and Indian slavery is well documented, for example.
Scott M. Stolz
IP IP Logged
weezie
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

New-York.gif, 0 kB

Quote weezie Replybullet Posted: 11 Apr 2007 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Shucander

Slave Mentality

Modern-Day Slave Traits

1. A modern-day slave will neglect to educate himself, which in turn creates mental slavery. (During slavery, Blacks were prohibited from learning to read or write. So, these days, everyone should take advantage of the opportunity to get an education.)
  2. A modern-day slave will swindle and commit other crimes against his own people and others instead of helping to break the chains of poverty by earning an honest living.
  3. A modern-day slave will perpetuate self-hate through committing violence on people of his same ethnicity, such as black-on-black violence, including murder, which is a form of genocide.
  4. A modern-day slave will deal, buy and/or use drugs that will make him and others function as slaves (addicts) to drugs, slaves to misery and slaves to defeat.
  5. A modern-day slave will adopt the wicked ways of the slave master, who disrespected and abused women.
  6. A modern-day slave will abandon his children – leaving them for someone else to raise – just as the old masters abandoned Black children by selling them off to other slave owners, not caring about their fate.
  7. A modern-day slave will foolishly commit crimes that cause him to end up behind bars, incarcerated, in mental and physical bondage.
Star

BTW
Don Imus controversy

Essence Carson, captain of the Rutgers women's basketball team, said it best.

Just because inflammatory talk is widespread in popular culture -- rap and hip-hop music have been widely criticized for misogyny and vulgarity -- it's not acceptable, whether on music radio or talk radio, she said at the team's Tuesday press conference.

"All that matters is it's wrong," Carson said.

Niger Innis, spokesman for the Congress of Racial Equality, said that jumping on Imus -- and not taking on the rest of the system -- is foolish.

"The hypocrisy of these media empires that are full partners in the grossest industry, the hip-hop industry, that pumps out the most vicious stereotypes of African-Americans, the hypocrisy is just gross," Innis told CNN's Zahn. "And they're going to -- they're going to slap Don Imus on the hand because they're so offended?"

IP IP Logged
Jaye
Boatswain
Boatswain

Saint-Lucia.gif, 0 kB United-Kingdom.gif, 0 kB

Quote Jaye Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2007 at 7:38am
That was a real interesting read, seeing different views from different people.

During the anniversary of the end of slavery, there were alot of programmes on the subject.

Two things mainly stuck in my mind:

1. There is now something called 'Post-Slavery Syndrome' - this is what is behind the recent shootings/stabbings/trouble within the youth of the black community (not quite sure what analysis is given when it is a youth from another community who is shot/does the shooting)
  2. An ancestor of the Man responsible for slavery in Britain (forget his name), along with some others, placed themselves in shackles and made an apology for slavery (I believe this was done in Gambia)

So what are peoples thoughts?

Edited by Jaye - 23 Apr 2007 at 7:39am
IP IP Logged
Scott
Administrator
Administrator
CaribbeanChoice Staff

Quote Scott Replybullet Posted: 24 Apr 2007 at 9:17am
I say if we keep living in the past, we will keep repeating the past.  Its time to bury the past, and move on and create something new, something better.
Scott M. Stolz
IP IP Logged
liac
Mate
Mate

Quote liac Replybullet Posted: 27 Apr 2007 at 2:00pm
Having a slave mentality is rubbish as far as I'm concern. No one can make you do what you don't want to do; it's call choices.  The choices we make in life determine who we are.  Lazy, un-ambitious people go about blaming others for their lack of everything good. Success is derived from hard work, persistence and ambition/s.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version