CaribbeanChoice.com
   HOME |  Carnival |  Recipes |  Gourmet Shop |  Islands |  Games |  Market |  News |  Links |  Events |  Articles |  Forums  |  Search 

Forum Categories
 Main Menu

Battle of the
 Islands

Popular Forums 

Newsletters 

Food 

Caribbean Corner 

Feedback   
Tell us what you think!
Tell us what you want!

Thursday, July 9, 2020 

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
The Caribbean Room
 CaribbeanChoice : General Discussion : The Caribbean Room
Message Icon Topic: Caribbean Culture Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 4 Next >>
axagurl
Landlubber
Landlubber

Online Status: Offline

Anguilla.GIF, 0 kB

Quote axagurl Replybullet Topic: Caribbean Culture
    Posted: 10 Jan 2007 at 1:23pm

I have a question....I want to know if any of you feel like we caribbean people are swiftly moving away from roots.  I am watching the way people  in the different islands are behaving when they move to places like America and Europe it's like they completely forget they are Caribbean People they loose all the respect they was raised with.  I am here in Florida and I would hear some of them talking and I tell the caribbean accent anywhere you tell them Good morning/Afternoon and they watching you like you are beneath them.  Thumbs%20Down

Axasweetheart
IP IP Logged
brighteyes
Mate
Mate

Trinidad-and-Tobago.gif, 0 kB United-States.gif, 0 kB

Quote brighteyes Replybullet Posted: 11 Jan 2007 at 8:16pm

I HAVE BEEN THERE, JUST CONTINUE TO BE YOURSELF,I AM FROM TRINIDAD AND I WAS RAISED THE SAME WAY,ALTHOUGH MY  KIDS WERE BORN IN AMERICA, MY HUSBAND AND I ARE VERY PROUD TO TEACH THEM ABOUT OUR CULTURE.I ALSO CAME ACROSS A LOT OF CARIBBEAN PEOPLE IN BROOKLN AND QUEENS AND I MUST SAY THEY MADE ME FEEL AS THOUGH I WAS HOME, SO CONTINUE TO SAY GOOD MORNING AND AFTERNOON WHO KNOWS SOME ONE MIGHT LEARN SOME THING FROM YOU.

IP IP Logged
Scott
Administrator
Administrator
CaribbeanChoice Staff

Conch Republic Texas.gif, 0 kB

Quote Scott Replybullet Posted: 12 Jan 2007 at 12:57am
In some parts of the U.S., especially New York, they have forgotten the custom of saying "Good Morning" and "Good Afternoon" and other similar nice sayings.  You are more likely to see that in more rural areas of the U.S. or in Texas, for example.

I've lived in New Jersey and have gone in and out of New York many times.  I must say that people are definitely friendlier down here in Texas.  We still do say "good morning" and "good afternoon" down here.

But it is true, people usually start to lose a bit of the culture they were raised with, adopting consciously or unconsciously the culture they live in.  The local culture varies greatly within the U.S.

Or course, there are some people who just think they are better than everybody else, and it has nothing to do with the culture.  It could have been that instead.
Scott M. Stolz
CaribbeanChoice.com. Inc. Staff
WisTex | Complete Hosting Guide
IP IP Logged
Alize
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

United-States.gif, 0 kB

Quote Alize Replybullet Posted: 12 Jan 2007 at 6:14am
This is so true, especially in the Work Place...my mom, u know Old School from the Islands...she walking on the Street say Good Morning Sir or Mam and gets some answers and others she will say, oh! no manners...I told her its the culture thing....
* The most important thing in
IP IP Logged
sandra
Privateer
Privateer

Dominica.gif, 0 kB

Quote sandra Replybullet Posted: 12 Jan 2007 at 6:27am
That's so true. I know some West Indians living in America. Some of them develop the American accent and are ashamed to let people know that they're from the W.I. Also, their children who are born in America, they have no manners. One day, some of the neighbour's children came in my yard to retrieve a ball. I was standing at the door. They didn't even say 'good afternoon'. I had to put them in their place.   
IP IP Logged
ilam96
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
CaribbeanChoice Staff

Belize.gif, 0 kB United-States.gif, 0 kB

Quote ilam96 Replybullet Posted: 12 Jan 2007 at 9:04am
why would anyone be ashamed of where they come from? heck my home country is so small i lighten up when i meet belizeans everywhere, thankfully i haven't met anyone that put down their home country...i think i'd give them piece of my mind, after all that's all we got being so far away from 'home'...
"I cried because I had no shoe, until I met a man with no feet."
IP IP Logged
sandra
Privateer
Privateer

Dominica.gif, 0 kB

Quote sandra Replybullet Posted: 12 Jan 2007 at 9:10am
Another thing I dislike about certain people. Example: Dominicans and St. Lucians. They were born and raised in their country, they migrate to where ever, all of a sudden they can't speak Patois.   
I asked for all things so that I might enjoy life; I was given life so that I might enjoy all things
IP IP Logged
ilam96
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
CaribbeanChoice Staff

Belize.gif, 0 kB United-States.gif, 0 kB

Quote ilam96 Replybullet Posted: 12 Jan 2007 at 9:19am
oooh yeah...i look down on belizeans that would rather speak to me in their american accent, rather than our own kriol...i mean, i understand you being here for many many years...but lawd, getting back into your mother tongue shouldn't be that hard...i see it with my brother, he's been here for ages, and he has picked up the accent, but...since i've been in the picture, he's back to his broken english and dead kriol, which i like bcoz it tells me he hasn't forgotten where he comes from. no one should forget where they come from, even if you happen to change citizenship. most of us come from hardship and humility and i'm not saying there isn't that here in the US...but everyone is faced with choices...for us, there was no choice...thats all we knew.
"I cried because I had no shoe, until I met a man with no feet."
IP IP Logged
sandra
Privateer
Privateer

Dominica.gif, 0 kB

Quote sandra Replybullet Posted: 12 Jan 2007 at 9:28am
It's a laugh, ilam96. I mean, they still have they deep island accent, they bite their tongue trying to speak American or England's English, and yet they can't speak Patois. I can't abide such hypocrisy.
I asked for all things so that I might enjoy life; I was given life so that I might enjoy all things
IP IP Logged
vutjebal
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Welcome Committee

Aruba.GIF, 0 kB

Quote vutjebal Replybullet Posted: 12 Jan 2007 at 11:39am
Well..I love  my lil ísland  and I am glad to Be an Aruban. But  when I see people from Aruba or  the Antilles, do something that's nothing good that they will not do back home, I just ignore them and I try not to let the know that I speak and understand papiamento.. oops and when they are speaking so loud oops like  they are fighting or working on the markt... OMG...Oh%20MyShocked
But I think there  will be no reason to forget who you are  and from where you came.. OOps...Home sweet Home.
It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in man.
IP IP Logged
Page  of 4 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version