CaribbeanChoice.com
   HOME |  Carnival |  Recipes |  Gourmet Shop |  Islands |  Games |  Market |  News |  Links |  Events |  Articles |  Forums  |  Search 

Forum Categories
 Main Menu

Popular Forums 

Newsletters 

Food 

Caribbean Corner 

Feedback   
Tell us what you think!
Tell us what you want!

Saturday, November 16, 2019 

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Religion, Theology & Spirituality
 CaribbeanChoice : General Discussion : Religion, Theology & Spirituality
Message Icon Topic: Do You Believe in Karma? Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 4 Next >>
Poll Question #71: Do You Believe in Karma?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [70.00%]
4 [20.00%]
2 [10.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Scott
Administrator
Administrator
CaribbeanChoice Staff

Online Status: Offline

Conch Republic Texas.gif, 0 kB

Quote Scott Replybullet Topic: Do You Believe in Karma?
    Posted: 06 Sept 2005 at 4:48am
Do you believe in karma?  Do you believe what goes around comes around?
Scott M. Stolz
CaribbeanChoice.com. Inc. Staff
WisTex | Complete Hosting Guide
IP IP Logged
Dorian
Landlubber
Landlubber

Texas.gif, 0 kB

Quote Dorian Replybullet Posted: 06 Sept 2005 at 6:06pm
yes, i do ...because I've seen it happen to some people .....It may not happen right away but it happens...and it comes back to twice .....as bad in whatever you do...or did....
IP IP Logged
Scott
Administrator
Administrator
CaribbeanChoice Staff

Quote Scott Replybullet Posted: 06 Sept 2005 at 6:13pm
I think so too.  You send out good things in life, eventually good things come back to you, maybe in a different form, be it comes back.  Same with bad things you do to others as well.  It all comes back to you somehow.
Scott M. Stolz
IP IP Logged
scrolljoe
Boatswain
Boatswain

Guyana.gif, 1 kB

Quote scrolljoe Replybullet Posted: 09 Sept 2005 at 5:33pm

Karma is one of Nature's immutable laws ..surrounds and enfolds us throughout our natural lives and beyond. What is great is that it takes no bribes..grants no favours and pays you in the currency of your deeds. It's real, it's resolute and dependable as the sun rises due east in the morning every day. Schools of higher learning will tell you that the purpose of reincarnation is primarily to pay your Karmic debts.

IP IP Logged
ilam96
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
CaribbeanChoice Staff

Belize.gif, 0 kB United-States.gif, 0 kB

Quote ilam96 Replybullet Posted: 12 Sept 2005 at 11:18am
most def., tho why the good takes longer to come around than the bad....we'll never know
"I cried because I had no shoe, until I met a man with no feet."
IP IP Logged
sandra
Privateer
Privateer

Dominica.gif, 0 kB

Quote sandra Replybullet Posted: 12 Sept 2005 at 1:12pm
Yes, I do believe what goes around comes around. But, sometimes it takes too long to come around.
IP IP Logged
Scott
Administrator
Administrator
CaribbeanChoice Staff

Quote Scott Replybullet Posted: 13 Sept 2005 at 12:05am

Well, for people who do bad things on a regular basis, sometimes it does come around but we don't hear about it, after all, who wants to admit bad things are happening.  For example, someone greedy or cruel may make his millions or have his way, but live a life with no real friends and no love.

And for some people who do good things, they prevent the blessings from coming to them by not wanting to receive.  Someone tries to give them something and they refuse.

For others who do good things, it might be something you never notice that was actually a good thing.  For example, you being late because of a flat tire was actually lucky because it prevented you from being in a bad car accident.  But you would never know that since you don't know what was would have happened had you been on time.

If you have been good, sometimes good things happen when you need it most, like suddenly an opportunity to make money appears when you were out of money or needed money for something.

Sometimes its the subtle things, sometimes its the big things, but either way, it comes back around.

Edited by Scott
Scott M. Stolz
IP IP Logged
sandra
Privateer
Privateer

Dominica.gif, 0 kB

Quote sandra Replybullet Posted: 13 Sept 2005 at 6:41am
I hear you, Soctt. You described moi in your second paragraph. All the things you wrote are so true. You are truly a genius.

Have a grrrrreat day!!!!!
IP IP Logged
alsosweet
Landlubber
Landlubber

United-States.gif, 0 kB

Quote alsosweet Replybullet Posted: 14 Sept 2005 at 9:06am

[Scott's quote: "Do you believe in karma?  Do you believe what goes around comes around?"]

I looked up the word "karma" and dictionary.com renders the meaning as follow:  "The total effect of a person's actions and conduct during the successive phases of the person's existence, regarded as determining the person's destiny." If I am not mistaken, the successive phases of a person's existence refers to reincarnations. Therefore, karma is the influence of an individual's past actions on his future lives, or reincarnations. 

However, regarding our actions, the Bible does accurately state: "Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows." (Gal 6:7 NIV) A farmer when he plants a lemon tree does not expect to get sweet oranges when it bears fruit. Neither does planting an orange tree bear you sour lemons. This is true of our actions. If we practice badness we can expect to reap badness. If we practice what is good, we reap good things.

IP IP Logged
Scott
Administrator
Administrator
CaribbeanChoice Staff

Quote Scott Replybullet Posted: 15 Sept 2005 at 1:01pm

Hmmm. I never looked up the word karma before.  I only relied on "common usage" which is sometimes different than the dictionary definition.  Also, different dictionaries define it differently sometimes.

Here's part of an article in the Wikipedia:

Originally posted by Wikipedia

Karma literally means "deed" or "act" and more broadly names the universal principle of cause and effect, action and reaction which governs all life. Karma is not fate, for man acts with free will creating his own destiny. According to the Vedas, if we sow goodness, we will reap goodness; if we sow evil, we will reap evil. Karma refers to the totality of our actions and their concomitant reactions in this and previous lives, all of which determines our future. The conquest of karma lies in intelligent action and dispassionate reaction. Not all karmas rebound immediately. Some accumulate and return unexpectedly in this or other births.

This is part of a very good Wikipedia article on Karma.  It also has a paragraph or two comparing it to concepts in Christianity.

I was more interested in asking if people believed that "if we sow goodness, we will reap goodness; if we sow evil, we will reap evil" in this lifetime, regardless of whether you think there is a next lifetime.

Edited by Scott
Scott M. Stolz
IP IP Logged
Page  of 4 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version