CaribbeanChoice.com
   HOME |  Carnival |  Recipes |  Gourmet Shop |  Islands |  Games |  Market |  News |  Links |  Events |  Articles |  Forums  |  Search 

Forum Categories
 Main Menu

Popular Forums 

Newsletters 

Food 

Caribbean Corner 

Feedback   
Tell us what you think!
Tell us what you want!

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Travel, Vacations & Tourism
 CaribbeanChoice : General Discussion : Travel, Vacations & Tourism
Message Icon Topic: Africa Post Reply Post New Topic
Poll Question #56: Have you ever been to Africa?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
2 [12.50%]
14 [87.50%]
You can not vote in this poll

Rogerka
Captain
Captain

Online Status: Offline

Jamaica.gif, 1 kB Slovakia.gif, 0 kB

Quote Rogerka Replybullet Topic: Africa
    Posted: 22 Apr 2005 at 7:37am

I love Africa but never been there

And you? What's your experience?

Peace out
IP IP Logged
Duck Sauce
Administrator
Administrator

pirate-flag-small.gif, 0 kB

Quote Duck Sauce Replybullet Posted: 28 July 2005 at 7:00pm
No, but I think it would be a very neat trip.
"One person can make a difference, one person can change the world, but you must choose to do so. You must make the future or others will make it for you." -J. Michael Straczynski
IP IP Logged
Shucander
Admiral
Admiral

Palm Beach Aruba

Aruba.GIF, 0 kB

Quote Shucander Replybullet Posted: 10 May 2006 at 12:33am
I was not in South Africa, but will one day visit that Nation of Nelson Mandiba Mandela.

Nelson Madiba Mandela,  the Son of Africa and Father of the Nation. Well I am very impressive of the New South Africa sinds the apartheid is coming to an end. I have seen the DVD and it was very impressive.

Synopsis

Nelson Mandela was born in the remote South African village of Qunu; an excellent student, Mandela went on to become a lawyer and then a political activist with the African National Congress, a political party who sought to bring down South Africa's Apartheid regime, in which the minority white population denied the most basic political and civil rights to the nation's black citizens. Mandela's vocal opposition of the South African government (and his refusal to repudiate violence as a response to the brutality inflicted upon blacks) resulted in his spending 27 years at hard labor in prison -- and in time led to his release, the legitimization of the ANC, and his election as South Africa's first black president. Mandela is a documentary that traces Mandela's story from his birth to his current status as a respected political leader, featuring interviews with Mandela and his contemporaries and newsreel footage that records the turbulent past of both Mandela and his nation.

Nelson Mandela was born on 18 July 1918 into the royal family of the Thembu, a Xhosa-speaking tribe which nestles in a fertile valley in the Eastern Cape. There in the family kraal of white washed huts, the young boy spent a happy and sheltered childhood, and listened eagerly to the stirring tales of the tribal elders. His Xhosa name, Rolihlahla, has the colloquial and rather prophetic meaning “trouble-maker”, and he only received his more familiar English name, Nelson, on his first day at Healdtown, a British colonial boarding school.

The teacher apparently chose English names at random for each unsuspecting child in her class, and was possibly thinking of Lord Nelson at the time, since the famous seagull hadn’t arrived yet; but that would only be a guess. The school principal, ironically, was called Wellington, and frequently informed young Mandela and his classmates that there was no such thing as African culture, and that they, the natives, were indeed privileged to be educated by such a fine and civilized Englishman as himself.

LG

IP IP Logged
gernuar
Captain
Captain
Representative of Aruba

Aruba.GIF, 0 kB

Quote gernuar Replybullet Posted: 10 May 2006 at 4:01am

Nelson Mandela was born to free the discrimination.

He had a big dream.....................and done it......and achieve it to reality.

"Freeeeeeee Nelson Mandela.  Freeeeeeeee Nelson Mandela. (his people singing to leberate him from prison.)

IP IP Logged
daretothinkfree
Landlubber
Landlubber

United-States.gif, 0 kB

Quote daretothinkfree Replybullet Posted: 10 May 2006 at 10:18am

I think about Africa the way some adopted children think about their birth parents. These kids go through their entire lives carrying a reservoir of love cached and waiting to be showered on its parents if and when they ever come together. That's how I think about Africa.

But I do not think about Africa in only a nostalgic and emotional sense. I also think about Africa in a practical sense, and this latter exercise fills me with great pain. Pain that in Nations like the Congo where the natural wealth is in excess of that possessed by most developed nations, the people continue to live in abject poverty and squalor. Pain that a nation like Equatorial Guinea, unofficially called the Kuwait of Sub Saharan Africa, exporting some 300,000 barrels of petroleum each day, its half a million population live in conditions probably worse than slavery, while its leader has a bank balance exceding 700 million in these United States. Pain that while African American Political Leaders joined with Muslim Leaders in opposition to Colin Powell the then Secretary of State, and in opposition to their Government on an issue of the Palestinians arising at the Conference on Racism a couple of years ago in South Africa, these same Muslim Leaders are largely silent in their response to the genocide being carried on in Darfur Sudan. 

I would like to believe that the greatness of Martin luther King and Nelson Mandela would not have allowed them to confine their dreams for freedom to the limits of their national geographic surroundings. And until Africans are free wherever they exist in this world, in fact until people as a whole, regardless of the artificial racial grouping within we which we seek refuge are free to enjoy "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness", the dreams of Martin Luther king and Nelson Mandela will remain unfullfilled.

Peace      

IP IP Logged
Scott
Administrator
Administrator
CaribbeanChoice Staff

Conch Republic Texas.gif, 0 kB

Quote Scott Replybullet Posted: 10 May 2006 at 1:28pm

For the most part, although there are exceptions, most of the violence and bad treatment comes from people within the same race these days.  Muslims fighting Muslims.  Asian gang wars in L.A.  Blacks killing other blacks.  All the while trying to shift the blame to some other group that isn't responsible.   Let's blame Americans.  Let's blame whites.  Let's blame the hispanics.  Let's blame the asians.  Let's blame Christians. Let's blame the neighboring country.  Let's blame the other nearby tribe.  Etc.  Anyone except the people truly responsible, whoever is convenient at the time.

Today, more Muslims are responsible for Muslim deaths than any other group.  More blacks are responsible for other black's deaths than any other group.

If they'd stop fighting each other, and stopped fighting in general, they'd actually be able to build a pretty good life.

Scott M. Stolz
CaribbeanChoice.com. Inc. Staff
WisTex | Complete Hosting Guide
IP IP Logged
Rogerka
Captain
Captain

Jamaica.gif, 1 kB Slovakia.gif, 0 kB

Quote Rogerka Replybullet Posted: 08 Aug 2006 at 10:21am

Do you remember the South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut movie?

BLAME CANADA

Peace out
IP IP Logged
velin_penev

Quote velin_penev Replybullet Posted: 16 May 2007 at 11:06am
I'd love to go to Egypt - the Valley of the Kings, Luxor, Cairo Museum, Nile Cruise;
And maybe another trip to Kenya - go to a safari (of course without killing any animals) and why not climbing mount Kilimanjaro! Big%20smile
IP IP Logged
sandra
Privateer
Privateer

Dominica.gif, 0 kB

Quote sandra Replybullet Posted: 16 May 2007 at 12:01pm
I don't think that I'd like to visit Africa. To me, it's too far away from home.
I asked for all things so that I might enjoy life; I was given life so that I might enjoy all things
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version