Dominican Republic: Events
What is happening in Dominican Republic:
Dominican Republic has some beautiful white beaches and is laid back for those who are interested in sailing down the rivers and waterfalls.
- New Year's Day - January 1 - Public holiday
- Pilgrimage to Higuey's Basilica to honour patron saint
- Carnival Dominicano
- Independence Day - February 27
- Cabarete Alegria
Carnival Dominicano begins two or three days before the Dominican Republic's Independence Day and lasts for a few days after Independence Day. It is a great bash, which features a great number of beautiful costumes, spectacular floats, partying and dancing which has a great African flair. the residents have a great time and there is an abundance of alcoholic beverages.
- Easter Holidays - Good Friday Easter Sunday and Easter Monday (Easter Holidays are either in late March or early April)
- Marine Festival in San Cristobal -last week in April
- Dominican Annual Tourism Exchange - Barcelona Bavan Convention Centre
- Labour Day - May 1 - Public Holiday
- Puerta Plata Windsurfing Tournament
- Fishing Tournament - second week June
- Festival del Merengue - last week in July
- Festival del Merengue
- Carnival/Restoration Day - August 15 -Public Holiday
The country's second carnival coincides with its Restoration Day on August 15. Restoration Day is the date celebrated that the Dominican declared war on Spain. This carnival is about as entertaining as the one held in February.
- Festival de Puerto Plata -first week in October
- Puerta Plata Jazz Festival
- Dominican Christmases
- Christmas Day - December 25
- Boxing Day - December 26
The Ministry of Tourism organizes the Dominican Christmases every year. These events consist of music and dancing which are performed at the Malecon and Avenida del Puerto in Santo Domingo.